• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Th0m4s1234 1 month ago

Never built a pc but know a little. i would like your opinions and help with the m.2 blocking some sata ports (I don't really get it). Thank you

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Comments Sorted by:

LIVE_AMMO 1 point 1 month ago

M.2 utilisation simply borrows the lanes from the SATA port/s. Hence if you take a M.2 SSD, and plug it into one of the M.2 headers on the mobo, one of the SATA ports will be disabled. This is normal!

You don't need to do anything other than check the motherboards manual to see which one is disabled and simply avoid it when installing additional SATA devices. You have 5 additional SATA ports available.

Whats the budget?

Purpose of use? (gaming/streaming/editing/etc)

Th0m4s1234 submitter 1 point 1 month ago

I'm going to use it for gaming. thank you for the explanation. £700 is the stretch. If you can give me any advice on how to cut the money down with similar specifications as well. I know that the card Isn't the best but it should hold up. thank you

LIVE_AMMO 1 point 1 month ago

£150 for the GPU is inaccurate. Amazon's pricing this card at £260 new or £200 for going 'used'

£700 Build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor £144.97 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard MSI - B450M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard £62.98 @ Ebuyer
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £85.98 @ Aria PC
Storage Kingston - A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £46.97 @ Amazon UK
Video Card XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card £169.59 @ Amazon UK
Case Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case £45.58 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £64.99 @ Amazon UK
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit £83.99 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £705.05
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-21 23:34 GMT+0000

The above uses a superior 6-core CPU + 16GB RAM + RX 580 GPU (GTX 1060 equivalent). The gaming card is great for 1080p resolutions hence simply good enough for a nice'n'smooth gaming experience.

You may have noticed I dropped the HD for now. 500GB SSD is sufficient for the OS, applications and a few games. You can always slip in additional storage later when needed (as simple as plug-n-play)

If you can give me any advice on how to cut the money down with similar specifications as well.

A couple of alternatives to trim cost, is needed