PCPartPicker

• Register

Want to build a PC, but have questions about old parts.

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

PCNewbBoy 1 month ago

I finally managed to save $1000, and wanted to build the best Gaming PC with that money. But I find myself in an interesting situation.

Back in 2016, I had gotten a tower, and two parts to begin a build with, but I never got around to getting the rest of them. With the exception of the Tower (Maybe), they are most likely obsolete by now, but I was wondering if they could still hold up today when combined with newer parts.

Here is the list of the parts (and tower) I have right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EIQTKAS/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OAJ412U/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T4BWUUY/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should I start from scratch? Or can these parts still be used in a newer build? If so, could you recommend the parts that I could combine with these? My current budget is $1000, but I can up it to $1500 in two or three weeks. Thanks for any help in advance!

Comments Sorted by:

Dreadvolt 1 Build 3 points 1 month ago

You can totally re-use your SSD/HDD combo and case if you want. No reason not to if you're happy with the capacity / performance / look they've provided thus far. Using what you've got already, $1200 goes a pretty long way.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $184.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $129.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING X Video Card $309.00 @ B&H
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $96.96 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus - VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $264.83 @ Newegg
Keyboard Redragon - K582-BA Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $59.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1180.65
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1160.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-15 14:29 EDT-0400
lsorice 2 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

Agreed and great build.

OP, is monitor and keyboard included in that 1k budget? If not you can use that money towards a better GPU.

PCNewbBoy submitter 2 points 1 month ago

It wasn’t, but I was considering those choices anyway.

PCNewbBoy submitter 2 points 1 month ago

Thanks! Might go with this one.

lsorice 2 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

Id' personally squeeze out $40 more for an RTX 2060, but you can let some benchmarks decide if it's worth it for you.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3451-evga-gtx-1660-review-vs-1660-ti-rx-590-more

PCNewbBoy submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Just noticed that a cooler was missing from this list. Any suggestions?

Dreadvolt 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

The 2600X has a pretty substantial cooler on it stock, which is why I omitted including one. I'd suggest trying it and seeing if you're happy with it's performance (cooling & noise) before deciding if you want to upgrade it or not.

bequiet, Cryorig, Noctua, Scythe, and Thermalright all have very good air cooling solutions that would be better than the stock cooler, but obviously are an extra cost.

If you want an AIO, I'd recommend something with a 280mm rad on it, simply as it'll perform better (and quieter) than a 240mm. The EVGA CLC 240 or 280 are both good options and pretty affordable. If you want a prettier AIO than the EVGA CLC, then check out the Kraken x62, or the Corsair H115i Platinum, again, pricier, but prettier.

PCNewbBoy submitter 1 point 29 days ago

Thanks.

Also, I decided to shell out some extra cash and got an MSI GEFORCE RTX 2060 Video Card. Is that compatible with the other parts you posted? I’m asking because RTX GEFORCE 2060 didn’t show up on the list, but RTX with lower numbers did, and they didn’t find any incompatiblities with it.

Dreadvolt 1 Build 2 points 29 days ago

Should be absolutely fine. =)

PCNewbBoy submitter 1 point 29 days ago

That’s a relief. Thanks! Sadly, the Motherboard I ordered was Backordered, so it might be a while before it gets delivered. Have every other part except for that.

LIVE_AMMO 2 points 1 month ago

For secondary storage, your currently owned HD is simply fantastic!

The 850 EVO SSD for the primary boot drive, is as good as any current-day fast/quality-driven SATA-interface SSD.

The S340 case is also superb for any modern day build. Actually, re-phrasing: It's a modern day case! Those top/below wide air vents allow for some pretty decent airflow and the rest from a quality or feature perspective, is simply great. I currently have the S340 elite (same case but full sized tampered glass) and see absolutely no reason to swap it for any current day offering (thats with my 7700K overclocked at 5Ghz + a 1080 TI at play)

My current budget is $1000, but I can up it to $1500 in two or three weeks. Thanks for any help in advance!

Does the budget include peripherals (display/keyboard/mouse/etc)

What about the operating system (windows)?

It didn’t, but the first reply offered some pretty neat choices that I was thinking about beforehand.

Any suggestions for the Operating System? Was gonna go with Windows 10.

[comment deleted by staff]
manirelli staff 8 Builds 3 points 1 month ago

Use of Windows must be done with a legitimate product key.

Per Microsoft:

You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method.

For more information please see: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Just realized that I’ll need something to help me connect to the internet wirelessly. Should I use an Adapter or a chip, and which options do I have for either?

ImperiousBattlestar 1 point 1 month ago

Well, if you need wireless, there are some motherboard with it built in (saves you buying a card, and it doesn’t cost that much)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $184.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard $119.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $135.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Seagate - 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING X Video Card $309.00 @ B&H
Case NZXT - S340 Elite (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan ARCTIC - P14 PWM 72.8 CFM 140mm Fan $9.97 @ Amazon
Case Fan ARCTIC - P14 PWM 72.8 CFM 140mm Fan $9.97 @ Amazon
Monitor MSI - Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $224.95 @ B&H
Keyboard Redragon - K582-BA Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $62.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1147.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-20 17:53 EDT-0400
[comment deleted by staff]