add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1080p 144hz first time build

slabsdabs

8 months ago

looking to make the switch from console to PC. This would be my first build, I've been doing a lot of research and reading, this is what I've come up with, my brain is fried with all the different info, just looking for some help.

honestly I just want to play Apex Legends on a 1080p 144hz monitor with 144+fps with my friends :)

Questions: 1- I've seen a lot of bench marks with similar setup that hit the fps and some that don't, why is that? and do you think this will hit the fps I need. 2- I do plan on overclocking, not right away but in the future, do you think it would be beneficial to do it right away or wait? 2a- do you think the cpu cooler I have listed will be enough ( I also will add 2 SP120 fans at the front of the case and 2 Af fans on the top, with the cpu cooling on the back ) 3- The GPU is my biggest question, I would like the stay in the budget I have (from Canada), do I go with the GTX 1070ti or RTX 2070 or am I missing something completely and go with another product

Im sure you will have more questions

Thanks

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MH9J3b

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

If FPS performance is absolutely vital at a higher frame output rate (closing in on the displays 144hz refresh rate), I would look to secure the i5-9600K

At 1080p, the i5 presents anywhere between 5-10% additional FPS performance in most games and only a handful of titles which are poorly optimised or multi-thread perked remain neck to neck with the Ryzen alternative. Where the i5 surpasses Ryzen significantly is it's superior single core performance and lower latency which translates to better lower-preset in-game scalability which is where you'll be more likely to reach your 144fps performance targets. The i5's overclocking headroom is superior too, which allows an excess of 5-10% additional performance.

1- I've seen a lot of bench marks with similar setup that hit the fps and some that don't, why is that? and do you think this will hit the fps I need.

Solid hardware is one aspect of achieving top-end performance, the other being the game itself (game-code). Not all games are made equal, some being better optimised, some being more demanding (tougher environments, textures, composites, etc), some are more CPU orientated with 3D scaling/map distance/multiplayer/etc and then there are games which scale better with multi-core/multi-threaded CPUs wheres others succeed at their highest performance with just 4 single-threaded cores. In other words you might have the best hardware to-date but it doesn't mean all games will run at an equal footing at the highest 'possible' FPS hardware rating.

2- I do plan on overclocking, not right away but in the future, do you think it would be beneficial to do it right away or wait?

For a first time builder. Take your time! These current day platforms with these mid-tier high performance CPUs are great for gaming and you can easily achieve maximum benefit (from a real-world noticeable perspective) without overclocking. OCs at this stage are more of a luxury especially when the system at stock is already capable of producing averages from 90-120fps (depending on game). An OC'd 10fps advantage is not going to make a huge difference as the eyes can barely measure anything past 100fps. Personally I wouldn't reduce in-game settings either to hit those higher FPS notes unless configurable settings when lowered have little or zero impact on preferred visual quality.

2a- do you think the cpu cooler I have listed will be enough ( I also will add 2 SP120 fans at the front of the case and 2 Af fans on the top, with the cpu cooling on the back )

A single RAD usually is sufficient for moderate overclocking. For a real push for added performance you'll want to secure a beefier air cooler or a 280mm AIO

3- The GPU is my biggest question, I would like the stay in the budget I have (from Canada), do I go with the GTX 1070ti or RTX 2070 or am I missing something completely and go with another product

2070 is newer but pricey, but definitely faster than the 1070 TI. Depending on games, you can expect anywhere between 10-20% higher frame rendition (more FPS).

With your performance and i'm assuming above-moderate-2-decent-high overclocking targets in mind, this would be the better solution for $20 more: (feel free to query any amendment in part selection/other)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $329.00 @ Powertop
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler $51.09 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard MSI - MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $199.99 @ Memory Express
Memory Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $85.44 @ Amazon Canada
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.99 @ Powertop
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card $666.50 @ Vuugo
Case Phanteks - Eclipse P350X (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $84.99 @ Canada Computers
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $114.99 @ Canada Computers
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $128.50 @ Vuugo
Case Fan ARCTIC - F12 PWM 53 CFM 120mm Fan $7.75 @ Vuugo
Case Fan ARCTIC - F12 PWM 53 CFM 120mm Fan $7.75 @ Vuugo
Monitor MSI - Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $338.96 @ Amazon Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2173.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-13 17:07 EDT-0400
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $249.99 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $149.99 @ Memory Express
Memory Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Western Digital - Blue 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $58.99 @ Amazon Canada
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.99 @ Powertop
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card $666.50 @ Vuugo
Case NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Canada Computers
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Canada Computers
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $128.50 @ Vuugo
Case Fan Corsair - SP140 49.49 CFM 140mm Fan $17.98 @ Canada Computers
Case Fan Corsair - SP140 49.49 CFM 140mm Fan $17.98 @ Canada Computers
Monitor Asus - VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $330.40 @ Mike's Computer Shop
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1999.29
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1979.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-13 16:07 EDT-0400
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube