add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need Some Opinions On Different Parts...

Outsiders

9 months ago

I've been working on a new build for awhile and have changed it around at least a dozen times. This is what I have setup so far...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4X8BnH

I'm looking for some opinions/comments on hard drives and graphic cards.

For the secondary hard drive. Do you prefer having a SSD or using a 3.5" drive and why? I was thinking of going with SSD but I have heard that the speeds aren't much different from just using a 3.5" drive and the 3.5" is way cheaper.

Is there a big difference between 8 GB versus 11 GB in graphic cards and do you see a big difference? I was leaning toward a 8 GB because of the price difference but if a 11 GB will cause less lag/slow down if I decide to play and stream at the same time?

Thank you...

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

For the secondary hard drive. Do you prefer having a SSD or using a 3.5" drive and why?

It's down to purpose of use and preference. For work purposes on my home gaming rig, I have a second SATA-SSD for large data sets and image/video libraries. Benefit being "faster transfer speeds" as i'm having to shift through truck loads of media for editing/rendering purposes.

My third storage solution being a HD serves very nicely for backups, archived IMG/VIDs, cloud storage and games. Although my most played games are saved to SSD purely to benefit from slightly faster load times (not benefiting gaming performance).

Bottom line: HD's offer fantastic value for increased capacities hence only consider SSD as secondary storage if the benefits outweigh the cost. If the budget isn't a problem, going the SSD route does have some additional benefits: obviously superior transfer speeds, durability, power efficiency, noiseless + smaller form factor.

Is there a big difference between 8 GB versus 11 GB in graphic cards and do you see a big difference? I was leaning toward a 8 GB because of the price difference but if a 11 GB will cause less lag/slow down if I decide to play and stream at the same time?

8GB is "fantastic" and don't worry about streaming, VRAM has no affiliation with encoding practices at the CPU level. If you plan on 4K resolution gaming, only then consider weighing the options of going 11/12GB. Current demanfing games @ 1080p/1440p, to my knowledge, don't scale beyond 7/8GB. There may be a couple of titles with intense graphic quality configs which may surpass 8GB below the 4K mark, but honestly from a real-world visual perspective, it's not going to make any sizeable difference in viewable visual quality.

Question is what are you targeting in terms of resolution? Which cards are you comparing?

Also besides gaming and streaming, what else are you planning to achieve with this rig? The 64GB system RAM suggests some pretty intensive enterprise level workloads!

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Which cards are you comparing?

I have changed which card I wanted at least 6 times. Any suggestions?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/r8smP6/evga-geforce-rtx-2080-8gb-xc-ultra-gaming-video-card-08g-p4-2183-kr

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QsBTwP/msi-geforce-rtx-2080-8gb-duke-video-card-rtx-2080-duke-8g-oc

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/84hKHx/asus-geforce-rtx-2080-8gb-strix-gaming-oc-video-card-rog-strix-rtx2080-o8g-gaming

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qMKcCJ/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-8gb-gaming-oc-video-card-gv-n2080gaming-oc-8gc

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jVQG3C/evga-geforce-rtx-2080-8-gb-black-video-card-08g-p4-2081-kr

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fRXnTW/evga-geforce-rtx-2080-8-gb-ftw3-ultra-gaming-video-card-08g-p4-2287-kr

Also besides gaming and streaming, what else are you planning to achieve with this rig? The 64GB system RAM suggests some pretty intensive enterprise level workloads!

My first setup only had 32GB system RAM. I figured if I wanted to be gaming and streaming at the same time then 64GB would be better so there would be no lag/slowdown or anything in the system. I'm not into video editing or graphics so my main objective with the rig would be gaming, streaming and maybe posting to YouTube.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Gaming: 8GB RAM DDR4 is more than sufficient. 16GB is recommended for overall system performance and future proofing.

Gaming & streaming: 16GB DDR4 is more than sufficient. 32GB is recommended for some lodged headroom to accommodate 1) Possibly higher quality and higher resolution streams (more probable at a later date) 2) For systems running various background processes, hefty multi-tasking whilst gaming and streaming 3) future-proofing in general

In other words, 64GB is a lavish overkill with plenty of untapped RAM hence a pointless retainer. Take 32GB! Take 2x16GB sticks to benefit from the motherboards optimal bandwidth dual controller configuration (proven to increase gaming FPS too).

You don't need the NVME SSD for a gaming and streaming rig. The superior read/write speeds via NVME are better utilised with workstation class workloads. For consumer level platforms (basic use, gaming, streaming, etc), those performance benefits are almost non-existent. I'd take a fast 1TB SATA-interface SSD or an entry level NVME (if priced the same or for a little more).

About the GPU choice! All of those cards will do the job. Although I'm more fascinated with MSI's custom PCB cards. Since the first aftermarket 2080 adaptation, MSI has sought plenty of affirmative appraisals for raw performance, resilience, cooler and quieter operations. More importantly for me, based on user-feedback, MSI's GPUs in the 2000-series rank continues to maintain higher reliability and durability compared to some of the other offerings.

With all the above in mind, heres what i recommend: (top-notch on the performance-front, but if aesthetics apply, feel free to query any of the selections)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $525.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $149.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - Z390 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $203.88 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $259.99 @ Newegg
Storage HP - EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $159.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card $819.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB Mirror Black ATX Mid Tower Case $181.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $102.85 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit $119.99 @ Dell
Case Fan Corsair - LL120 RGB LED 43.25 CFM 120mm Fan $28.99 @ Amazon
Other Corsair Fan Controller Commander Pro (CL-9011110-WW) $59.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2757.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-09 13:24 EST-0500

Also swapped Windows to a full license. OEMs are non-transferable

I left the cooler choice untouched. If you are planning on overclocking, this 360mm RAD is fantastic!

Are you planning on purchasing a display too? What are you looking at? If you have one already, resolution or display model number?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

LIVE_AMMO, I checked out what you suggested and appreciate the help.

I originally selected a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard but in your setup, you selected a ASRock - Z390 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard. Is this just your pick of Motherboards or is there something wrong with the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151?

I'm keeping my main drive as a M.2-2280 Solid State Drive where I'll install Windows, etc. but I think I will add on a 3.5" drive for everything else I want to store such as games, etc.

Funny you mention the MSI GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card because that was my first choice for a video card before changing it.

Are you planning on purchasing a display too? What are you looking at? If you have one already, resolution or display model number?

A new display is going to be added to the list soon and I was looking at the following:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fBvbt6/acer-predator-x34-340-3840x1440-120hz-monitor-x34-pbmiphzx

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vhkwrH/asus-monitor-rogswiftpg348q

Unless there is something flat screen LED TV out there that's just as good and cheaper...

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I originally selected a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard but in your setup, you selected a ASRock - Z390 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard. Is this just your pick of Motherboards or is there something wrong with the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151?

Absolutely nothing wrong with it, both boards are simply fantastic, full of features and offer more than adequate power phases and VRM cooling for overclocking. If you prefer Gigabyte for the aesthetics, go for it, it's only $20/$30 more.

I'm keeping my main drive as a M.2-2280 Solid State Drive where I'll install Windows, etc. but I think I will add on a 3.5" drive for everything else I want to store such as games, etc.

The drive added in the previous recommendation is a M.2-2280 and also NVME with double the capacity @ 1TB. M.2-2280 is accessible by both SATA-interface and NVME-interface SSDs. The HP selection is a go between fast SATA speeds and superior NVME speeds, and comes in at a very attractive price point to secure 1TB. Plenty of space to throw in your games library to benefit from faster game load times.

A new display is going to be added to the list soon and I was looking at the following:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fBvbt6/acer-predator-x34-340-3840x1440-120hz-monitor-x34-pbmiphzx

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vhkwrH/asus-monitor-rogswiftpg348q

Nice!! I was wandering whether your GPU selection was overkill for the intended resolution, hence the query. With these panels at play, those doubts have been eliminated by a long shot! Gorgeous panels! I'm considering a similar move towards the end of 2019 (if the wife permits hehe)

Unless there is something flat screen LED TV out there that's just as good and cheaper...

Nope, with ultra-widescreen resolutions, curved panels make sense with an added touch of immersive game-play. I wouldn't have it any other way.

This is now looking to be a solid gaming platform!

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I decided to go with the https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fBvbt6/acer-predator-x34-340-3840x1440-120hz-monitor-x34-pbmiphzx

Sure, it's $50 bucks more but the response time and the refresh rate make up for it.

Only thing I need left is a mouse, keyboard and headset and I'm all good to go...

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

SSD is much faster than a hard drive, both objectively and subjectively. I can't imagine building a computer today without one. As live_ammo suggests, hard drives still have a place for a large bulk store at prices SSD's can't match; but I would definitely do the first terabyte or so of storage in SSD.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

What are you doing with your PC? Gaming, streaming, content creation, 3d rendering, etc? If all you are doing is gaming and streaming 64GB of ram is way overkill as 16GB of ram will be plenty for that kind of workload. The other things such as content creation and other more demanding workloads might be able to take advantage of that kind of ram depending on how much you do.

As far as thermal paste goes you can save a few bucks by using the thermal paste that comes with the cooler and not buy any extra. Generally thermal paste that comes with a high end cooler is generally decent and getting the "top of the line" thermal paste may only improve temps by like 1c at best.

As for storage I agree with LIVE_AMMO. In my main rig I have 2 SSDs and 3 3tb HDDs. My main NVMe SSD has a couple of my most played games and windows installed and my second SSD is for a scratch drive when doing video editing. My HDDs are bulk storage and backup for all the media that I store on my PC. I have a second HTPC hooked up to my PC and the 120gb SSD is the boot drive and the 275GB SSD is where I install some steam drives to but I can access my HDDs over the network to play any video I got stored on my main system.

As for VRAM just consider getting the right GPU power for 1440p or 4k and those cards should have enough build in vram for the task. Generally any kind of GPU to game on 4k will have a bare minimal of 8GB of vram and can get more but a RTX 2080 will do great for 4k 60hz. Though nothing beats high refresh rates for smoothness of gaming so 1440p 144hz tends to be overall the best for gaming experience these days. LTT did a video comparing 1080p high refresh/1440p high refresh/4k low refresh to see how it affects user experience. Still even with 1440p 8GB vram should be ample today.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

As far as thermal paste goes you can save a few bucks by using the thermal paste that comes with the cooler and not buy any extra. Generally thermal paste that comes with a high end cooler is generally decent and getting the "top of the line" thermal paste may only improve temps by like 1c at best.

This is good to know... I can remove it from my list.

My main NVMe SSD has a couple of my most played games and windows installed and my second SSD is for a scratch drive when doing video editing. My HDDs are bulk storage and backup for all the media that I store on my PC. I have a second HTPC hooked up to my PC and the 120gb SSD is the boot drive and the 275GB SSD is where I install some steam drives to but I can access my HDDs over the network to play any video I got stored on my main system.

This is what I want to do. I want to have my main NVMe SSD for windows and basic install needed and either a second SSD or second HDD for games, backup or anything I'm looking to save and get to later.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube