add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

why are people toxic?

aud10_fr3ak

7 months ago

this happened to me the other day. i was playing cs:go (casual.) i'm playing, practicing my aim and stuff, and overall having a good time. then somebody on my team tried to kick me. the rest of my teammates, the good people they were, voted to keep me on. that person who tried to kick me got really toxic and cursing at us over the chat. then said person called everyone on our team a noob, including me. this person had a higher exp level, yet we had a higher score than said person. to the point where after the match was over nearly everyone on my team left, including me .

this wasn't the first time this happened, but i really want to talk about it since it seems like such a problem in everyday life.

so really i want to ask is:

a) when/where people have been toxic to you (doesn't have to be just gaming, can be anywhere) b) why people are toxic even though it doesn't benefit them? c) why do some people seemingly enjoy being toxic and making everyone have a horrible time? (edit d: your worst experience with toxicity)

i meant to include a sunlesskhan video on people being toxic in rocket league (yes, even car soccer), but i didn't have time to find the link

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 9 points

There is a lot of complex reasons, but it is all rooted to one single thing

anonymity

• 7 months ago
  • 4 points

4Chan is a prime example.

Enter at your own risk.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

never even visited 4chan, but heard plenty about it

• 7 months ago
  • 5 points

In hind site, 4Chan is really only cancerous in threads like /b/, /pol/, and /R9K/. Most of the other threads are pretty tame. Interests threads for example are pretty much the same as other forums about said interests.

But of course the specific aforementioned threads are the loudest of the bunch.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

You named my 2/3 of my favorite boards ;P

• 7 months ago
  • 5 points

It’s a superiority complex, some people (not all) just feel the need to be better than you, and depending on their personality it can either be toxic, passive aggressive, even in a kind and caring way.

It’s just human nature, it’s glorified by the fact that he isn’t face to face for you where some people wouldn’t even do it, and would rather hide behind a keyboard.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Some people are just ********.

Screws with toxic people.

Realizes it leads to becoming toxic.

I've become the very thing I swore to destroy.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

You were meant to stop the sith toxic people not join them!

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness!

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

You were my brother Anon, I loved you!

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Some people just do it for lols (my younger brother for instance)

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Most people just think it is funny.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Any game like CS:GO with a large community base and an average 1:1 kill ratio is going to have toxic people who think they arebetter than everyone. I have an occasional toxic burst, especially when I’m not having a good time, someone on my team is toxic, or the enemy is repeatedly knifing me in arms race.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I would think one possible reason would be the competitive nature of the game. Users wanna win and when that doesn’t happen, they get angry and that tends to happen. That doesn’t happen for everyone though.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

it was casual cs though.

i could (sort of) understand if it was competitive, but casual most people are chill and all

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm. Well, I can't really answer b) or c). I wish I knew. I'm always overthinking why. Can't really answer d) either because it's never really been a specific incident, it's just minor amounts of ******** here and there.

a) would probably be Facebook. I'm still there, I'm not that bothered, but it's where I end up in drama most of the time. Some closed groups can be super toxic. The thing is, most people answer b) and c) with "because anonymity" but you're not anonymous there. So… there must be more to it. I mean sure, 4chan and such are definitely not very civilized places, and anonymity's the whole point. So… I guess I don't know.

Are gaming communities really toxic? Seems to be more the online part that seems to be the problem. As a woman I just avoid any online multiplayer game with voice chat, because I don't really want to deal with that sort of thing. I play Smash Bros competitively though and that's a real life thing, and… eh. Sometimes Twitter drama happens, sometimes real life drama happens, but it's just less often. I don't want to call it perfect and wonderful because I know it's not, it's just better than the League of Legends and CoD and what have you communities.

(Post-post edit: I had a thought that it might have something to do with the social attitudes towards toxic behaviour in certain communities. Some are like "lol just get over it" vs. "hey that's not an okay thing", and maybe that matters, especially when it's people in power (moderators, tourney organizers, etc) who have those attitudes or not. Maybe. Just kinda streaming out thoughts right now.)

Is it really human nature? If it is, why isn't everybody toxic? There must be something that differentiates the toxic people from the people who just wanna hang out on the internet/play videogames/otherwise have a good time and be good to others, no matter what the concentration of toxic people is.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

why isn't everybody toxic?

Everyone is toxic, its just a matter of you seeing/hearing them be toxic or them being toxic in another situation. At least thats what I believe.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Lot of people like to talk smack, IMO they have nothing better to do or are too lazy to go do something else fun or productive. I played WOT on xbox when it came out, some of the people on there were great/funny/smart. Then you had people who were not. Eventually everyone stopped using the sound or went private with it. You only got kids complaining about the game and how everyone sucked. Fact was I'd played a year and was pretty good, but the better you get the worse the game treats you and you ARE going to lose half the time no matter what. It was the noobs that could not figure that out. I finally gave up on it, fun to play but the server just hammers you with impossible play.

Far as other places on the web, well all this stuff is worth what you pay for it! Don't forget it. Jerks are all over because in real life if they said that someone would knock them silly. I don't go those places, I don't need it, I have more important things to do. But note the media is full of that stuff even the national news is, it really is a sickness IMO and can lead to really bad things happening to all of us. Hate is not good, there are people that figured that out thousands of years ago. People don't get along when everyone wants/deserves to be the king, wants to erase history, wants to call out groups, etc., do things to hurt others. It is a big societal issue few seem to look at.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube