add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

External GPU for SFF Case

fencer7

10 months ago

I recently acquired a Dell Inspiron 3647 SFF PC that my grandparents weren't using. There isn't enough room in the case to install a decent GPU. Also, I don't think the motherboard is a standard size, so I won't be able to use another case. I had the idea of removing the side panel and using a PCI riser to mount a GPU externally. I'd like to construct some sort of enclosure for it, but I'm not really sure where to start. What do you guys think?

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

You could take a trip to your local hardware store (homedepot, lowes, ace etc.) and get yourself some wood and screws. Buy a riser cable and a fan or 2 and make a nicely polished wooden enclosure.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

There are cards for it, you have to dig for single slot, low profile cards, it needs to be both. I don't know what your definition of decent is. There are some gaming sites that list the best ones. The issue with some SFF is they only have ~300w PSU or in my optiplex 275w. So something that hogs power is not a good idea, or you have to deal with it somehow. I put a cheap radeon ($40?) in this one because its only for browsing and playing video mostly, and it works fine for that much better than integrated. A SSD really helped it out, and ordered a quad cpu for it also. It should work for a while now.

If you don't put the card way out it will hit the frame of the case. If you put it way out then you have to hack together something be it a plastic box or wood or sheetmetal. It may be difficult to make it look good. And you need to cool it somehow.

You can get these machines for 100-200 complete as refurbs, cheap machine if you don't have any coin. I think that may affect popularity. My bad, you can get them for less than $100. Also make sure the fast card you want to use will not be bottlenecked by that PC.

• 10 months ago
  • 0 points

You could always get yourself an eGpu, but youd be limited by the bandwith of thunderbolt

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube