add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build, first mod, any traps I might not think of?

chopsdall

9 months ago

So I am going from never having built my own computer (but I've done a lot of study!) to building a regular ATX build inside an old Mac G5 case and I was wondering if anyone had any tips they wish people had told them before they started their early builds?

I am currently working on how I am going to mount the motherboard. My plan has me making my own motherboard plate but one thing I wanted to make sure of is that I'm not making any problems on grounding and static discharge that might fry everything before I finish. Currently I'm planning on having a sheet of metal (cut from an old computer case) attached to the inside of the G5 and then make a motherboard plate to attach to that so I can handle the motherboard without having to touch the motherboard itself, like when attaching the bracket for an aio water cooler.

Comments

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube