• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

codezer0 1 month ago

Since i noticed this in the audio options on the RE2make, i have to ask... How does one get Dolby Atmos sound out of a PC? Can't even find 7.1 speakers for pc, let alone any atmos capable sets.

Comments Sorted by:

IForgotMyPassword 2 points 1 month ago

Dolby Atmos is software-based. My phone has Dolby Atmos: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FUF1JKE/ref=twister_B01JL0VESG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Raphen 1 point 1 month ago

Any THX certfied speaker will provide the full range Dolby Atmos will use. Any speaker will do though. Your best choice is outputting to a receiver or spending the money on 7.1 headphones. A lot of the sound you hear also depends on room layout and speaker location. If you aren't sitting in the middle of the audio it won't work properly.

darkshadoku 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

when i connect my pc to my home receiver/tv it lets me use Dolby Atmos due to my receiver and speakers being dolby atmos

AceBalthazar 4 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Hello,

In order to get Dolby Atmos sound out of your PC, you would need to have software on your PC that supported it, and have a Dolby Atmos certified surround receiver to actually process the data signal. You would have to run your audio over HDMI, as that is the only format that supports Dolby Atmos.

codezer0 submitter 3 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Why only HDMI though? My sound card has analog and digital audio outs. And already got a solid (analog) 5.1 set of speakers hooked up

Radox-0 5 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Because Atmos only works out of HDMI simply put. You also need Atmos capable receiver. Any 5.1 speakers will not do, they, well the receiver needs to be capable of decoding Atmos. Myself for example, I have a 5.1 surround sounds system hooked up via HDMI, yet the Atmos for home theatre option is not available as my receiver does not support atmos.

AceBalthazar 4 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

The best way to hook up your Dolby Atmos system — in fact, the only way — is through HDMI. Unlike other stereo or surround sound systems that transmit over optical cables or Bluetooth, your Dolby Atmos setup will necessitate an HDMI cable, which is the modern standard, universal cable for lossless audiovisual data.

https://blog.dolby.com/upgrade-home-theater-system-dolby-atmos/

Dolby requires HDMI because it's the only format that can support the number of sound channels needed for full "atmos surround"