add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Community Approval: ~$1300 Gaming/Streaming Setup

eesti
  • 13 months ago

I chose everything besides the monitor based on Amazon availability. I'm more concerned about game quality but still want a higher refresh rate display for the esports games I play PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor $168.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.99 @ Amazon
Memory ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $99.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $117.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card $279.00 @ B&H
Case Thermaltake - Versa H18 Tempered Glass MicroATX Mini Tower Case $49.96 @ Newegg Business
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $98.99 @ SuperBiiz
Wireless Network Adapter Asus - PCE-AC55BT B1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $33.88 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer - ET322QU 31.5" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor $279.89 @ OutletPC
Other Redragon K552-BB Gaming Mechanical Keyboard, M601 Gaming Mouse, P001 Gaming Mouse Pad, Gaming Headset Combo, LED backlit Keyboard, Programmable backlit Mouse, Large Mouse Pad, PC Headset Value Combo $59.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1318.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-26 09:20 EST-0500

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

If $1300 is your absolute budget, I suppose there isn't a lot you can do.

Do note, higher refresh rate is still capped by your monitor, since it's a 75 Hz monitor, so the most you're going to get is 75 FPS. I don't know what e-sports games you play, but 75 FPS is very manageable with a cheaper GPU even a high/ultra settings on most, if not all, games, so you can maybe save some money there and use it towards the motherboard instead? If you play other games that are more demanding, in high/ultra detail, at 75 FPS, and want to get the most out of it and have longevity with it, sure, the 1660 Ti makes more sense.

If you have some wriggle room in your budget, I would honestly suggest a better motherboard and a bigger case to go with it. The 1700 comes out of the box with an all-core boost of 3.2 GHz, but you can overclock it to 3.7 GHz with the stock cooler, so that's like an extra 500 MHz free without extra cost on cooling. I highly do not recommend overclocking on your current motherboard, because it simply isn't designed for that. If you want decent overclocking, you'll usually need an ATX motherboard, which will need a bigger case also, so it's up to you to consider. If you get something like the X370 Taichi, it comes with on-board wi-fi too, so all things considered, it's not that much more expensive.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Would the AORUS M work? it's cheaper but isn't on Amazon, or what about the X370 KILLER SLI/ac?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Nah, if I'm not mistaken, the KILLER SLI/ac doesn't have the best power delivery and VRM, I wouldn't suggest it if you wanted to overclock. Similarly, the AORUS M is in the same boat.

Unfortunately, if you want to overclock, the motherboard can't go cheap, because you honestly don't want it to throttle. You're looking at $150+ for a good motherboard for overclocking.

It was just a suggestion. If you don't have wriggle room for the budget, just stick with what you have and use it at stock speeds. 500 MHz isn't going to be game changing in performance, and it's certainly not worth you spending another $100+ if you don't need the extra performance.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to stick with mATX, the MSI Mortar would probably be best, if you can find one (good luck). Amazon lists the MSI Bazooka v2 and it's probably workable; I don't know what makes it "v2". If you move up to ATX, I see the Asus B450 ROG Strix which is a good board.

I'm not so sure that the Asrock Pro4 would be a disaster for overclocking; I think you could do it, but you'd definitely want a fan aimed at the VRM's. I'm sure you could get at least some overclocking out of the Pro4 without the fan, but you might not manage 3.7 without VRM cooling.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Look at smaller monitor @ 144 mhz. The dell 25 inch or the 27 inch is 299 at best buy right now and a great deal

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I am looking towards display quality, the 75hz is just a bonus for the cheap esports games i also play

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha

• 13 months ago
  • 0 points

get a different ssd, samsung is more less a apple of ssds, seeing as you don't pay for the value but for the brand name, some decent ssds at a cheaper pricepoint are the mx500 by crucial or the L5 Lite 3D by Team Group.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

This was cheaper than the MX500, and the L5 Lite 3D isn't on amazon

• 13 months ago
  • -1 points

get a vega 56 instead

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

if I wanted more performance, I would get an RTX 2060, Vega 56 is still too expensive

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, i guess so.... I thought they dropped the price. never mind.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

They did drop to $279 to match the 1660ti but they sold out almost instantly

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

ahhhhhh..... yeah that'd be it

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube