PCPartPicker

• Register

Just wondering why the Price hike on i7 7820k Skylake 8-Core Processor.

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

StabbyMeowkins 8 days ago

I bought my Intel i7 7820k 6 months ago roughly for $399.99(Microcenter's sale from $499.99) Why the Price hike to $800+?

Just trying to figure out why the price of the processor I purchased, now doubled in price 6 months later? What actually happened to make it 'worth' double its current value.

Comments Sorted by:

StabbyMeowkins submitter 1 point 8 days ago

That doesn't really tell me why the 7820k has jumped to $800+. If this processor replaced it, why would the 7820k be more expensive?

m52nickerson 1 Build 3 points 8 days ago

They are not making those CPUs anymore, so there are not that many of them left. So anyone looking for that specific CPU will now have to pay a premium to get one new.

shreduhsoreus 6 Builds 2 points 8 days ago

Because most 3rd party sellers are ******** that take advantage of people.

I see it for $573 on Next Warehouse though. Little cheaper than the 9800X which is around $600.

DrLitch 1 Build 1 point 8 days ago

CPU has been discontinued although still gets a small production run. There is demand for it due to the x299 platform requiring a bios update for many motherboards for the newer chips. If you are new to x299, then, unless you get the manufacturer to ship an updated bios chip, you need an older cpu to update the motherboard in order to install the newer chips. The i7 7820k is not even a very good CPU but it works with every mobo out there that supports the platform. Now is actually a very poor time to invest in Intel's x299 chipsets, it is basically dead and on life support.

shreduhsoreus 6 Builds 1 point 8 days ago

It's not really a dead platform, it's just geared towards pretty specific use cases at this point, especially the 7820X.