add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

why do people put a bad name on minecraft?

tech_geek100
  • 14 months ago

there are people who assign unjustified opinions on games they know nothing about, why does this happen? (physiologist's feel free to jump in)

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 9 points

10/10 we should make a PCPP Minecraft server.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Holy ****, Philip please do this

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

speaking of which, who is Philip?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

YEAH!

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

We need to convert to using signs.

• 14 months ago
  • 5 points

Well I don't know how a physiologist will help here, but I'd guess is that there was a negative connotation attached to minecraft because it's associated with children and perhaps the rather cringe convention they put on.

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

Well I don't know how a physiologist will help here,

lol same

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

mostly being sarcastic, since this involves mental stuff

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Physiology is the scientific study of the functions and mechanisms which work within a living system

Psychology is the science of behavior and mind, including conscious and unconscious phenomena, as well as feeling and thought.

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

i blame autocorrect and me not being able to spell anything with ology in it

• 14 months ago
  • 5 points

The bad parts of the community scream louder than the rest, simple as that.

• 14 months ago
  • 4 points

^ This.

Although recently, I've seen most of the younger, screamier parts of the community leave Minecraft in favor of Fortnite.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank god, I try to distance myself from the Fortnite community as much as possible.

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

Same

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, there is not much good things in fortnite. i find that games like that (tattoo's, rude dances and more just teach people that bad stuff is "ok"

• 14 months ago
  • 4 points

Because people are dumb. Period.

• 14 months ago
  • 4 points

It happens anytime a tiny game blows up, becomes insanely popular, and then people move away from it. Look at games like Pokemon Go, Fortnite, etc.

• 14 months ago
  • 6 points

This is the answer. But in particular there is an extra heaping of scorn if it becomes insanely popular with young kids.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

true

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

In particular younger kids, who would never really play a game unless everyone was talking about it. So games like Minecraft and Fortnite are stereotyped as being for 10 year kids. Sometimes the gameplay might even be decent (amazing in the case of Minecraft) to a real gamer, however in the end it lacks a community normal games have. I mean look at the community in CSGO or Rainbow, it’s entirely different than in something like Fortnite. I feel like the M rating stands as a nice block preventing good games from ebong overwhelmed with casual players, notice how all these games are rated T at most.

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

I dont know really, i really enjoy going on there and building stuff in creative mode, and to be honest, me and a few of my friends, all adult friends play it, and really enjoy it on multiplayer.

In short, i think it comes down to the fact that sometimes people just want to hate on something.. and that "blocky looking "childs" game makes a easy target.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 14 months ago
  • 1 point

to add to the last part, redstone will indeed teach you patients. I see someone do complex redstone like Mumbo Jumbo, and i am sitting here how do i make this piston door work.....

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

i toiled for about 2 hours to finally construct my first 4x4 door, Mumbo Jumbo is one of my favorites!

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

game that inspires creativity, teaches valuable resource management skills, AND zombie apocalypse training!

We really need to be prepare for the zombie apocalypse.....

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

everyone buy a boring company flamethrower!!!!

• 14 months ago
  • 4 points

You mean the thing that Elon Musk is selling that’s actually a really fancy but beefy blowtorch. It’s not a flamethrower. It’s a blowtorch hidden inside a marketing gimmick. And even if it actually was a real flamethrower, getting my hands on one in California would be nearly impossible (thanks stupid California lawmakers for making preparation for the apocalypse more difficult, I hope [those stupid lawmakers] die first when the aforementioned apocalypse comes along.)

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

one word. fundraiser. the blowtorch is slightly modded so it can shoot farther.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

We might need to start smuggling...………...

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, flamethrowers are actually illegal to have, They don't even use them in the military anymore, they were discontinued because of controversial reasons.

[comment deleted]
  • 14 months ago
  • 3 points

I played the game a lot from 2012 - 2016. I made a lot of my current online friends playing on the Omega Realm Universe server back when it was still active. I sure do have a lot of great memories from playing the game, but I just don't like it anymore. I think it has to do with just being burnt out on it. The people I'm still friends with from the game don't play it anymore and we all moved on to something else.

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

I first started playing it on my Xbox 360 when it released back in 2009, then switched to PC a couple years later after my Xbox repeatedly overheated. (Too bad my Xbox didn’t overheat enough to be able to safely cook eggs on it, that would have been nice)

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

I first started playing it on my Xbox 360 when it released back in 2009

But... The 360 version was released in 2012???

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

Oh, whoops

[comment deleted]
  • 14 months ago
  • 1 point

it is just what your preferences are, as long as you don't judge people who like the game. a few of my friends play fortnite and I dont agree with their games but that doesn't mean that I hate my friend.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

The only time I really judge people for their game preferences is when they state the game they play is the best game ever (when it isn't even close).

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

cough fortnite guilty cough

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

I don't know why Minecraft gets a bad reputation. I've played it with both of my sons at one time or another.

I like the building/mining aspect of it and defending myself from zombies but my younger son keeps building worlds with some sort of linear two player game that he can never clearly explain. I don't care for those.

The other thing that may sour parents' opinion of Minecraft is the seemingly constant need for new mods. My kids were always clamoring for a Mod that they'd seen on youtube without knowing its name or where to get it. That entailed a search for where to get it and the resources required to run it and then the struggle to install it and get it to work. If you were unsuccessful, it usually ended in tears. If you were actually successful, an hour would pass and the clamor would begin for the next mod...

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, technic launcher is awesome for this, just install, find mods, and run it uses the minecraft launcher but with its own worlds for each mod. it is very user friendly. from liquidbounce to shapeshifter its really good

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

happy to help

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

I have no idea. It's, in my opinion, a great game. You're only really limited by your imagination what you can build/do. My friends got me into it in college. It's on of those games I always come back to playing every now and then. I'll binge for a day or two, then I won't play it for months. Still one of my favorite games of all time. I think some who dislike it probably never played it or associate it with being played by little kids, but you can't please everybody. It's also not a game everyone would enjoy. Some people may not like a game where they are not told what they have to do.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, you have a point on that. lol. For years i was like..... I dont want to play this big blocky game, it really is not for me....

Than one day, a friend had me play it...

Rest is history.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Same, my one college buddy was like, "Just try it, give it 30 minutes and if you don't like it you never have to play it again." Now thousands of hours later, and who knows how many 3am nights of doing just one more thing, I'm glad I sat down for that one half hour lol.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

My friend lives half way across the country, and really wanted me to play, so he was like look, i will buy it for you, if you dont like it, than dont worry. I did not have the heart to tell them to buy it for me. SO i went and got a bought a copy. I am really glad i did....

The first thing i did was build myself a wood house, and very soon after that, i asked him on discord what that creeper thing was.....

Than i was like ohhhhh nvm. He said, do you have torches up... I knew nothing.

• 14 months ago
  • 4 points

Lol my job in our server in college was gathering diamonds. We had a massive castle made in survival. Had Iron golems patrolling the inside. I remember I got in trouble once because I accidentally left a door open and one escaped, then a creeper came in and blew up part of the castle...good times

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

lol

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

lol my friend got me into minecraft 5 years ago and he moved on to Fnaf and fortnite shortly after (fortnite when it came out) and

Rest is history.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

good reasoning there.

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

Judging from the comments on this thread, there is a nice look Minecraft community already here

• 14 months ago
  • 6 points

Off Topic PCPP Minecraft server when?

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

Exactly. I could build it but I don’t have a place to host. Could we work together to build a cheap Linux box?

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

I like this. I would contribute on the condition it’s anarchy. Or you know what, I would be able to host it and even run it. Maybe I should set up a gofundme for an unofficial PCPP Minecraft sever.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have a separate Linux box and a stable internet connection bigger than 10mbps? Windows and OSX are very inefficient

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Internet connection, yes. I don't have a spare linux box, but could slap one together probably pretty quickly would prefer not to however.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I would rather it be like some mods and plot protection and then you could do anything you want in your plot.

• 14 months ago
  • 0 points

or a realm

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Realms are no fun and probably not enough capacity. You want them plugins and bosses and vaults and stuff like that.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

No, not a realm. Nobody uses bedrock, java is much more superior.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd do it, but I already have enough on my plate that I am not accomplishing.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

All I need is hardware and you to drag and drop files. Pls

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

A bunch of us have tried it before, never really took off.

I have a Ryzen system I could host it off of and would be happy to do it, but around when I was trying to host a server my Internet would just not let me at all...

I’ll see what I can do.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you try a speedtest.net

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

When I get home I can

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

That is not such a bad idea

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

lol, true

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

I find that a lot of the criticism comes from no end goal, no leaderboard or points to gain, no target, no gold star "you win" or big CONGRATULATIONS.

So many of my friends have said it, and it irks me to no end. There doesn't have to be a shiny medal waiting at a finish line for something to be enjoyable. There doesn't have to be a win condition that makes the experience worth it. There doesn't have to be a fight to win, an opponent to destroy, or a target to reach.

But that alone is enough to make people turn and sneer and claim it's not worth their time.

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

Minecraft is about the journey and the friends we made along the way =)

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

really agree, NO end reward means no pressure, and one of the reasons i like it, You can go build something if you want and not worry about "progression" or you could go kill the ender dragon. Or just go out and explorer.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

well said

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

My son and his friends love giving me a hard time for playing Minecraft. They think they are so next level because they have moved on to other games like Fortnite.

The funny thing is, had it not been for him, I probably would have never played Minecraft or Terraria. For some reason they all act as if the game is beneath them or something. I know my son still likes the game, but I guess being cool is more important.

I am so glad I am not 12 anymore. Why would you not play a game that is undeniably entertaining because of what others might think?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

they do it to like you said "look cool" because minecraft isn't cool (apparently)

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

I just personally don't like the game. I don't like the art style, don't like a lot of the community (not all, of course), and I don't like the style of game. I won't judge anyone for playing it, but it's just not my taste.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

that is a justified opinion! it sounds like you have your reasons. Me personally i don't like it when I'm doing a game at a school or something then a guy comes over and starts giving me a hard time because i play a game he made a joke out of.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I would actually like to start a debate here if you don’t mind. Minecraft is an amazing game, it’s fun gathering resources, evading danger form monsters, and building massive structures out of almost nothing. Sure the art style isn’t for everyone, so download s custom resource pack. The community by the way has gotten much better after the 10 year old army left Minecraft for Fortnite.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

To be honest, I don't see myself ever getting past the style, even with custom resource packs. If I'm playing a building game, it's probably going to be Kerbal Space Program, lol. I just don't like punching trees. xD

Maybe I'll give it another try sometime.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

optifine adds realistic lighting into the game

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I installed optifine, and cant even play without it now

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

lol

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

it really can boost and stabilize the game by a lot. got shaders yet?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

the "10 year old crowd" is basically the follow whatever game is trending

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Ok so since a lot of people have shown interest in making a community minecraft server I was thinking how much would people donate and as a desperate plea would the staff donate? I myself don’t have enough upload bandwidth to host this but if we had money we could a) ask a member with at least 30mbps up to (with donations) build a Linux box and I or another person could build and drop in files to the server. Another option is that we could pay for online hosting which seems less sketchy. Any ideas?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Never played minecraft, and never heard of anyone downplaying it until now.

However, there is the idea of sitting in front of a screen for hours which equates to being inactive and passive instead of being active or doing something more physical, creative or interactive with others.

I'm sure the same was said when the TV became more common place.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I am not an expert but my opinion is 119% correct because i said so.

I think a large part of minecraft's negative connotation is its graphics. Most people do not like the way the game looks because it stands out from what most "gamers" are used to. Realistic, state of the art, usually with dark and edgy tones. Minecraft has a simple and somewhat cartoonish style to it which most people associate with childness, something many people ( mostly teenagers ) want to disassociate themselves from looking like an immature child and make themselves look more "adult like". Combine this with all the "great and mature community" of minecraft youtubers and CONGRATULATIONS " your game is now associate as a game for children and the challenged.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I miss it man. I get that people put the game and annoying kids together, but it is a great game. I had a realms server with my brother and his friend and we covered the map with as many creations as possible. Reminds me of a time i was on a pixelmon server. It was small, felt like i was playing with family. Great times. Can't forget survival games :D

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

People who played it when it first was in pre-alpha before it even had a .exe file to run the game (mid 2009), dislike that it became super mainstream and the culture went from a tight knit group of people, to every single 7 year old on planet earth.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Good reasoning

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

So they miss the small community where everyone knows each other, that is what small servers like meepcraft.com are for

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "Software > Games / Gaming".

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly I think a lot of people just don't have the creativity to actually enjoy the game. I still enjoy playing minecraft from time to time and frequently when someone is making fun of me for playing it one of their reasons is that it's "so boring." I've never understood this argument given the amount of things there are you can do in minecraft. I remember getting lost in the game for hours building some new mansion or improving my survival base. 10/10 would join a PCPP server if one was made. I used to have a server hosted by serverminer.com but got rid of it when all my friends stopped playing.

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

I feel the same way sometimes, when I get on my experienced survival world and run out of stuff to do I just fire up a new world and do stuff different. dido on PCPP server

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube