add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

BIOS update needed for new CPU?

tech_geek100

12 months ago

this is my mobo and I'm thinking of an i5-7600 or i7-7700, is a bios flash or anything of that nature needed? also i have been running the PC for a year and a half on an i3-6100.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

You can check what BIOS version you are running in BIOS and look up what is needed to support those CPU on the motherboard manufacturers compatibility list.

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

For these two processors (and for any other Kabylake CPU) you need BIOS ver. F20 and up.

Look under the System tab in your BIOS for your current version.

Other ways to check your boards BIOS version.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-bios-version-windows

Of course you will update the BIOS to the latest available version. It's ver. F25

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

f21

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

That's great. These Kabylake CPUs will work on that board.

However, i would strongly recommend to update the BIOS to ver. F25

There are a lot of useful fixes that you should bother with.

F25 -> Update CPU microcode    
F24 -> Update Intel ME for security vulnerabilities
F23 -> Update intel ME for security vulnerabilities
F23b -> Update CPU micro code to fix HT flaw issue
F22 -> Improved USB Hard Disk compatibility
  • Note: You only need to update the BIOS once to ver. F25
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

how do i update from the bios? q-flash key?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, as this guy describes below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJf7KfPO5TQ

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

2 things, 1 bios updating looks pretty sketchy, what do I have to watch out for. 2 what would I lose if I stayed with my current bios version, would I experience any differences between the CPU I have now and the new CPU?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube