add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Worth going beyond the default XMP profile of 3200Mhz?

Dreadvolt
  • 14 months ago

Hey all,

Just curious if it's worth attempting to OC this kit of 3200Mhz memory?

My overclocking experience in general is super-low, and limited to my i7-9700k that is currently using this particular memory kit.

I got all my components, opened them, put everything together, powered it on, enabled XMP, it recognized the kit @3200 right away, and I've basically left it alone as I fiddled with cooling (Pro-tip: install your intake fans correctly the first time) and the CPU OC settings.

How much more should/could I reasonably expect out of a 3200Mhz kit, and in general, is it worth the effort?

Thanks resident memory OCers for your insight.

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong (I'll admit, I was just messing around in the BIOS). But I couldn't get my Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 to do any lower timings (even just 1 lower) or higher voltages and properly boot. My system would always just reboot a couple times and return to previous settings. I just figured the RAM was running at the max it would safely do already.

Do what you will with this data point!

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Had a tough time adjusting timings eh? Not sure if I'll try this or not now. Might just leave this as is.

Thanks!

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I honestly can't even think of something that would be beneficial from an overclock of memory on intel chips. I'm sure statistically there's a difference (even then I doubt any decent gain), but practically it's kinda pointless. You can do it if you want but there's no real reason to. 3200mhz is pretty good anyway

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback, i'll likely leave it alone.

Might try to play with the timings a bit, we'll see, either way, it's way better than what I had previously.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

My latest experiment on OC memory gave me about a 5 % gain... not a large difference by any means. I went from 2133 to 3200 on my i7 8700k build and got 5% gain on 3d mark bench....

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube