add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Black Screen Every Boot

EndlessCycle

10 months ago

So i built my pc over 3 years ago. This christmas I bought myself an rtx 2070 and a few days after installing the newest shadow of the tomb raider I started experiencing problems. I was being told in game I didn't have enough resources to run the game and I had to turn off dx12 to play the game. Now whenever I boot my pc it runs super slow at first almost like a really old laptop that is having super bad input lag, then completely freezes for a solid 2 minutes and then turns to a black screen and comes back on at normal speeds. In the event logger I am having a kernel power event 41.

My specs are I7-6700k with a corsair h60 16 gb of adata ddr4 Asus z-170k mobo Gigabyte rtx-2070 2 Ssds and 2 hdds 500w bronze psu.

Should I just replace my psu as I think it might be a problem with it?

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

The kernel event 41 is what happens when the power is suddenly cutoff from your PC and Windows doesn't get to do its normal shutdown procedure. Most likely, 500W isn't enough, it may be enough to boot your PC and do stuff that isn't all that intensive, but as soon as you go to game and do something that requires a fair bit of power your system is browning out because your PSU doesn't have enough guts.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

It's only at startup though. Not when I am playing games or anything like that. Whenever I boot up it is super slow and then black screen, comes back and runs perfectly fine.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Unplug all your drives, does the system post correctly?

Plug in only the boot drive, is it still slow? If yes, then perhaps that drive is dying.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

It probably is now that you mention it. Really old 128gb ssd. The only changes i've made to my pc since I built it have been swapping parts. If I need a new boot drive how would I go about swapping windows onto a new ssd?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

There are all kind of cloning software, but if it was me I'd just do a fresh install.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

So, uh I uninstalled wallpaper engine because it was giving me some grief about dx errors and the crashes stopped. I am beyond confused

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube