add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Compatibility?

NinjaKoala217
  • 13 months ago

Is the MSI MEG Z390 Godlike mobo compatible with this G.Skill memory?: http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-4266c17q-32gtzr

G.Skill's QVL says it isn't, and MSI's QVL is just the most confusing thing ever. But, MSI's Z390 Godlike does support memory up to 4600 Mhz. So I don't know anymore..

~ NinjaKoala

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I know MSI has a QVL, but it's still unclear for me which QVL I need to follow.

For example: MSI's QVL says that the highest module available (for G.Skill's Trident Z RGB series, 4 x 32GB) is this one: F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR

While G.Skill's QVL says that the highest module available (for G.Skill's Trident Z RGB series, 4 x 32GB) is this one: F4-4000C17Q-32GTZR

[comment deleted]
  • 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah thanks for the QVL. I also found it, but what I meant in my post is that it's so unclear for me which modules are compatible and which ones aren't.

For example: MSI's QVL says that the highest module available (for G.Skill's Trident Z RGB series, 4 x 32GB) is this one: F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR

While G.Skill's QVL says that the highest module available (for G.Skill's Trident Z RGB series, 4 x 32GB) is this one: F4-4000C17Q-32GTZR

So it's still a bit unclear which QVL to follow :/

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, its not exactly as you described above. :-P

MSI says that the board was tested and should work with that particular quad kit. [F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR]

G.SKill says that the [F4-4000C17Q-32GTZR] quad kit may be compatible with that board, as long as the CPU IMC can handle that high frequency.

And as every CPU die is different (qualitative wise) it's a gamble. :)

So yeah some things aren't obvious at first, but that's why MSI didn't tested (most probably) that particular kit on that board you're referring to.

That just means that it can or can not run at that speed stable, and the situation gets worse if you overclock the processor as well.

MSI seems to agree with the above, according to...

<!> XMP memory modules listed in QVL have been approved and validated when CPU base clock was set as default, while not guaranteed when CPU overclocked. <i>

And logic says, if someone decides to purchase a board that costs a fortune, he will obviously wanna overclock the processor as well.

I mean who's would spend over $550 dollars on a 16 phase board (VCCGT doesn't exist on that board, so almost all the phases are dedicated to the CPU) and not overclock the processor ?!? lol

Anyway on a Intel build the best you could do, is to buy a dual or quad kit at 3200MHz with a latency of 14.

Higher Ram speeds will grand you only marginal performance boost on some particular games, and it's definitely not worth the higher price. :)

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean who's would spend over $550 dollars on a 16 phase board (VCCGT doesn't exist on that board, so almost all the phases are dedicated to the CPU) and not overclock the processor ?!? lol

Well I would :)

No just kidding, I'm planning on overclocking this beast (it's just what you call a beast tho :P).

Anyway, thank you for your reply! So if I'm correct, then I shouldn't follow the QVL of G.Skill due to their 'high' expectations of the mobo/cpu they tested with. But instead of that, I should follow MSI's QVL a bit more with a bit more attention to the speed of a module.

In other words: I shouldn't put a 4000Mhz memory kit in this build but a 3600Mhz memory kit, because MSI validated this memory kit (of G.Skill's Trident Z RGB series).

But, you said I'd be better off with a 3200Mhz (CL14) memory kit, but would it do any harm if I put a 3600Mhz (CL16) memory kit in the build? For example this one.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

So if I'm correct, then I shouldn't follow the QVL of G.Skill due to their 'high' expectations of the mobo/cpu they tested with. But instead of that, I should follow MSI's QVL a bit more with a bit more attention to the speed of a module.

Yes, because as you have in mind to overclock the i9-9900K up to 5.0Ghz or even more, with the Ram at 4000MHz you may not be able to stabilize the system if you rum Prime 95 for example.

And actually that depends more from the CPU Die rather than the board.

...but would it do any harm if I put a 3600Mhz (CL16) memory kit in the build?

Absolutely not, it just costs more. And if you wanna go with 32GB, it would be better to use a dual kit than a quad kit.

A quad kit puts more strain to the CPU Memory controller especially at very high speeds, as the memory controller is certified to run at only 2666MHz on a i5 or i7 Coffee Lake CPU.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, then I think what to do now. Thank you for all the information! :)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube