add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

rtx 2060 + WQHD or rtx 2070 + QHD

SicɅrius
  • 13 months ago

So my dad made me choose: rtx 2060 and an ultrawide 1440p monitor

or the rtx 2070 and a regular 1440p monitor

I don't know what to choose. The framerate might be lower but still look nice, but i don't know what the difference would be in a real world scenario in framerate (no tests done yet). I will be streaming and recording, that might be something to keep in mind. My dad also said the graphics card should last 1-2 years

I will play fortnite, overwatch, csgo, rainbowsix, battlefield V, GTA V, Rocket league, Forza horizon 4, black ops 4, and doom

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 4 points

If you don't mind lowering settings go with the 2060.

Bigger better monitor and likely you'll keep the monitor longer then the card.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with this, and besides, your not limited to the alienware with ultrawide, so if he maybe dropped G-Sync you could get both.

But that's just my 2 cents.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

NVidia cards are going to be working with Freesync now so you don't even have to give up quality.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Eh not exactly

I'm not sure how it will work with IPS panels due to overdrive

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Most of the NVidia approved panels are IPS.

The questionable panels are the majority of cheaper models which run the higher dynamic range entry of 48-50hz which are listed as Freesync but don't comply to the VESA 40hz dynamic range start.

But NVidia and Intel are now going with VESA compliance so those should disappear from the market pretty fast.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

That's exactly what I meant by that, a more affordable freesync ultrawide but you still have variable refresh rates.

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

2070 + QHD for better performance if this is soley for gaming.

If you're heavily video editing or doing other production work, the ultrawide is just a nice to have.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I would either go for the RTX 2070 + regular, or convince him to get the RTX 2070 and a cheaper WQHD display like this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rNdFf7/acer-predator-z35p-350-3440x1440-100hz-monitor-umcz1aap01

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly? I’d go with the IPS ultrawide over a TN panel

You can reduce settings to boost framerate, you can’t fix meh color ranges.

Also reminder that Dell monitor has hit $350 before and it’s not really a fair comparison when the ultrawide is $850.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I've had 3 of the 24" model of that Dell monitor, it's really nowhere near as bad as the "EWWWW TN" people lead you to believe.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

But its not anywhere near the level of that ultrawide

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Once you set a custom calibration it's close enough for most people. I put something like 500 hours into ESO on all 3 of them simultaneously, a very vibrant and colorful game, and my experience was never hindered. Also played all 3 Borderlands games on that setup, which thanks to its age runs 120+ FPS at 7800x1440, smooth as softened butter thanks to TN's superb response time and the high refresh rate. Destiny 2 on all 3, Divinity: Original 2(both) on just the middle one. Put over 1000 total gaming hours between many games on that setup with the only issue being mild color banding here and there. But none of that IPS glow or backlight bleed, since it's not IPS, which is what most people swear by.

You made trade offs no matter which panel type you use. I wouldn't be caught dead using VA though, I've had a few VA monitors and a VA TV, I can't stand them.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Go with the 2070 BUT try to convince your dad that getting a ultrawide 21:9 1440/2k monitor (60hz is fine but maybe 100hz might be in the price range) is a better long term investment. Your monitor should last a very long time through many system upgrades and should be the last thing that really needs a upgrade imho.

It comes down to do you want good looking games at less refresh or better refresh and not so colorful games? If you want both that cost some $$$$ money. I ,for one, do not play FPS games (mostly MMO etc) and go for more color/looks than refresh rate.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Go the RTX 2070 route.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube