add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How much storage?

NinjaKoala217
  • 13 months ago

I don't have any idea how much storage I should get for my build, so I want to know how much storage you guys got and if it's enough storage for you to put on your programs/games.

I was thinking about 2TB - 3TB SSD storage to put on all the stuff I will get (thinking about games, programs, etc.).

~ NinjaKoala

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

For most gamers 3TB is plenty, but it really depends on how many games you hope to have installed and how big those games are.

In my case, the biggest games I have are FFXV and ESO, coming in at 151GB and 91GB respectively. I have a lot of games that are in the 40GB+ range though, Shadow of Mordor, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Destiny 2. Then Doom, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Rainbow Six Siege are all over 60GB.

Basically I've got a 256GB boot drive, 1TB of SSD storage and 5TB of HDD storage and I have 1.5TB of free space, but I've also got like 1.5TB of sample libraries and virtual instruments, plus...I don't know, 75 or so games installed.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I'm not planning to install like 50 games, let alone 75 games :P But for now I don't know how much storage the games I want to install will take (I already have some games in my mind, but you'll never know if I want more games on my pc than the games I have in my mind now :) )

But thanks for the information! :D

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Open world games tend to be a lot bigger in size so that's something to keep in mind if you're into games with a big play area, same for ones that have a lot of multiplayer maps. Linear/shorter games tend to not take up as much space. Same for indie games as mentioned below.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I'm personally not alot into indie games, but more into FPS games and (MMO)RPG games, so I'll keep in mind that the games could be a bit bigger than I first expected.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

240gb to 500gb SSD for a 80gb OS partition and the rest for a games/utilities partition, and 2tb to 4tb HDD for less important storage.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh I see ^

Yeah I'm planning on buying a 1TB SSD for the OS boot and games and another 1TB/2TB SSD for other stuff. Hopefully it'll be enough :)

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I've got a setup like that. I have a 500gb 970 Evo NVME that is split 92gb for OS and 372gb for utilities, a 1tb 970 Evo for games, and then an older 2.5" sata 840 SSD for less important games.

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

There's little reason to partition SSD's since fragmentation is a nonissue due to the fact that there's no moving parts.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't partition for fragmentation I do it for cleanliness. Means I don't put anything on the OS Partition that isn't specifically for the OS (or those awful programs that don't let you modify install locations).

Windows 10 will install to be about 21gb in size.

60gb is more than enough. I made it 92.5gb just to be on the safe side. Even now I'm only using 45gb and that includes various game save files, document/user folders, utilities that won't install elsewhere, drivers and other software.

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

I see, well that's an entirely different story then!

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh alright, and will the performance of the OS/games drop if I put them on one drive together? (On a 1TB 970 Pro)

Or shouldn't it be a problem?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

That's nice tho, but I got a question: how much space does the OS usually take? (Windows 10 Home)

Around 100GB?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Some games take up to 50gb though, and that will add up quickly. Especially on a 240gb ssd

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Of course if you're using a smaller SSD you need to be more judicious in what games you put onto it.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Many games take up over 50GB. Some games take over over 100GB.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends on how many games you own and how you like to have your machine. Some people buy every AAA release and leave them all installed, soaking up storage. If you play primarily indie games you can get by with far less.

I have a 240GB OS drive and a 960GB games/programs drive. This is on the light side for storage, in this day and age. I haven't run into any problems, but most of the games I own are not installed and the ones that are, are mostly indie or older. The largest game I have is Gears of War 4 which is like 100GB or so.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I'm planning on installing a couple of games (let's say around 10 games). I don't know if I will install more games on it, but I think the games I want to install are around max 50GB (?) with maybe one exception.

I honestly have no idea :)

But thank you for the reply!

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

2TB is enough for pretty much everything and over 60 large games, unless you plan on downloading lots of media too.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, thanks for the information!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube