PCPartPicker

• Register

Where's a good place to start for painting a keyboard?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Volpix 1 month ago

I'm trying to get as many opinions in as I can because this is my first time looking at painting something like a keyboard.

My keyboard, the SteelSeries Apex 150, comes in only a black variant- which is what I have. I'm looking at painting it with a very clean and simple just white colour, almost like a matte white.

Where would be a good place to start looking for proper paints like this for keyboards?

Comments Sorted by:

tinalbatross 2 points 28 days ago

Black to white is hard to do, and you're going to want a paint with real heavy coverage, or even an appropriate acrylic primer. I'd actually start by looking at a craft store like A.C. Moore.

The other suggestion I'd have would be to start by picking up a couple cheapo keyboards if you don't already have them and doing some science. They certainly won't type the same, but they're still plastic, so you can do coverage and wear tests with the not nice keyboards before committing to a plan.

Volpix submitter 1 point 28 days ago

Thanks for the idea, that's actually a really useful concept I hadn't thought of.

bucketofcrud12 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

well, you'd probably want to take all of the keycaps off first, cover the switches with something like painters tape. for whatever may be plastic, you will want to lightly sand it with something like 320-grit sandpaper and make sure the entire thing is free of dust and otherwise nice and clean. you just would want to search for paints made for plastics. there are a lot of options out there, trust me. you can also use exterior-type acrylic enamels, as those will stick to the vast majority of plastics as well. if anthing you want to paint is made of metal, I guess I'd recommend using 220 grit sandpaper (and again, making sure the surface is clean and dust free afterwards. if there is rust or corrosion from drinks or something, clean that off. a metal-grade primer is usually applied before painting (also with metal-grade paint). hope this helps.

[comment deleted by staff]