add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cutting off PSU when done using?

ReverseFlash
  • 13 months ago

So I just built my first gaming pc and I was wondering if it hurts to cut off the psu like overnight or when im gone for a couple days because the rgb on the motherboard doesnt cut off when I shut it down and I hate to leave it running 24/7

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, it hurts. The inrush current that charges the main capacitors when you flip the switch heavily wears off some of the internal components.

Your motherboard should have settings to turn off the LEDs in UEFI.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks Ill look for the setting

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

It also has the chance of damaging your hard drive's data as you gave it no time to save it's current data when you cut off the psu abruptly.

This only applies if the computer is fully on and not in a off state.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

OP - You also need to consider risk of surges when you leave your PSU plugged in.

I'd unplug my computer if I leave for a couple days or more. Overnight I usually leave mine plugged unless a storm is present.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

If it's an Asus board just visit the topic below, because I'm afraid you will not know where you should look at. :-P

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93612-Motherboard-LEDs-staying-on

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome thanks I turned it off!

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool! :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube