add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dark Rock 4 - 9700k temps

Dreadvolt

12 months ago

I'm curious if I might have messed up my cooler install or in-case air flow as it seems my numbers are high-ish at stock settings. Only thing OC'd is I have my XMP profile enabled at 3200mhz.

Idle, this thing seems pretty cool in the 27-32C range and nearly silent.

10 minutes of AIDA64 peaks the temps at 66C under stock configuration.

Pretty sure my last OC config had AIDA64 peaking in the 75-85C range, honestly don't remember, and I failed to grab a screenshot (this may have also had an AVX offset of 2).

Prime95 (without an AVX offset) had me approaching 90C on my 5Ghz OC configuration.

After seeing 90C, I've been reluctant to try Prime95 again.

Obviously since OC numbers will vary depending on the configuration used, I'm trying to compare baseline stock numbers.

I'm hoping its something simple like needing another intake fan, or maybe re-installing the cooler with new thermal paste, and not just reaching the limit of my cooler.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

The 9700k runs hot since there are 6 cores. If they are all under load then it will be extremely hot. 5 Ghz is also a fairly aggressive OC for just about any chip. The idle temps seem a tad high, but what is the ambient temperature of the room? 66c seems pretty typical for this chip. These synthetic tests push your hardware to the absolute limit so while they can be helpful to compare multiple different chips you will want to use a more real world scenario. Try playing a game like Witcher or Battlefield that is fairly demanding and check the temps then.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply.

Ambient in the room is below 22C. I have the fireplace set to come on if it drops below 21C in here, and the PC is at the opposite end of the room. With how cold my feet are right now, there is no way it's 22C at this end of the room.

Will do, I know I was seeing temps at or above 80C playing BFV (without the AVX offset) on the Overclock config. I'll try to get some more stock baseline temps in games.

I ran Realbench last night (1 run) it topped out at 62C. Ran it 3x this morning consecutively, topped out at 66C.

From what i understand it's a pretty solid real world gauge.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

1hr20mins of dying in BFV, and stock temps looking a lot better than my gameplay.

Going to grab another intake fan, and upgrade the exhaust fans before attempting another overclock. Maybe 5Ghz just isn't in the cards for me with this setup.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Try that out and let me know. You might have just gotten a poor OCing chip that can't hit the 5 Ghz.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

TLDR: I dun mussed up fellers!

Ok, full disclosure here. I didn't realize till I had a new intake and replacement exhaust fans on the way, but I had previously installed my intake fan... backwards.

Now that the intake fans (2x140mm 1000rpm) are both installed properly, and I have higher RPM, greater throughput fans for exhaust (1x140mm 1600rpm + 1x 120mm 2200rpm) , it's time to re-establish some baselines before OCing.

If temps are still scary high, my next step will be to remove the DR4, re-apply thermal paste, and re-install the cooler, and again get baselines, then OC.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

The 9700k runs hot since there are 6 cores.

The 9700K is a 8 core processor btw. :-P

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I forgot that they went to 8c/8t and not 6c/12t. This proves my point even more though since 8 cores will most certainly run hotter than 6 lol

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

This proves my point even more,

Wanted to point out too, but yeah that makes the situation a bit more worse. lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube