add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Confused about managing airflow with cpu and gpu AIOs

nandan_ph
  • 15 months ago

Hi guys,

Building my pc with Aorus xtreme waterforce rtx2080 ti which comes with a AIO and wanted to get at least 240mm AIO, preferably 360 for 9900k cpu . I have few questions about managing airflow with the 2 AIOs.

1. I think both AIOs should be blowing air outwards
  2. If 1st point is true, then will having 1 additional fan in the front and or top for air intake is good enough? Or should I go with 480mm on top to add 2 more fans ?
  3. If point 1 is not correct, then whats the best modes I can set them.

Came across this thermaltake-core-x71 case which lets me put additional fans sideways. But it is pretty big and dont know if I should go that far. Thermaltake Case: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Bd7CmG/thermaltake-core-x71-tempered-glass-edition-atx-full-tower-case-ca-1f8-00m1wn-02

Aorus graphic card: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/kdVD4D/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-11-gb-aorus-xtreme-waterforce-video-card-gv-n208taorusx-w-11gc

Your help is much appreciated. And yeah Happy new year to all !!!

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey guys,

Maybe my question was too generic so I'll try to narrow it down a little based on what I have researched and please correct me if I am wrong.

• Going to buy a 360mm AIO for CPU and set it to exhaust.
  • GPU already comes with a 240mm AIO. Going to set that to exhaust as well.

• Considering Lian Li O11 case if I can get it. Or get the 'Dynamic' variant of the case where I'll place GPU AIO (360mm) up top.

• GPU AIO (240mm) at bottom. There is room for 1 fan should I use it for intake?
  • Place 3 fans on the side for intake.

Let me know if this sounds good.

Thank you.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I suggest you do both as intake and add fans for exhaust. Those radiators benefit from having fresh air intake. Typical arrangement is;

Intake: Front and bottom;

Exhaust: Top and rear.

For your case (no pun intended), do the bottom and side as intake and top and rear as exhaust. Try to balance out the intake and exhaust.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for your response. Unfortunately Lian Li pc O11 dynamic doesn't have rear fan and thats been the issue with most cases. Having 2 aios with 5 fans is turning out to be impossible to manage unless I go with something like thermaltake-core-x71 which has 3 front 3 top 3 side and 1 rear.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

oohh and secondly I was thinking that since both are AIOs and there are no air coolers in the case, maybe less intake than exhaust might work?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not a 100% sure but I think you could mount 80mm fans in the rear. If you would go with more exhaust than intake, that would create a negative pressure. It is ideal for airflow however dust build-up is imminent in this kind of setup. Going with the x71 is a good choice since you are utilizing 2 radiators.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I think both AIOs should be blowing air outwards

Doesn't really matter, both orientations work just as good! Some cases will favour either method with a tiny difference to go on (literally 1c -/+). I've tested both orientations twice in the last 5 years using a 280mm rad and honestly nothing worthy to report on. Generally the assumption is: 1). Blowing inwards allows cooler air to scrape through the rad fins so you would assume better CPU temps but hotter internals. 2). Blowing outwards implies cooler internals hence presumably better temps on CPU too. Various tests conducted by others report the same "negligible difference". Basically feel free to use the orientation which best fits the aesthetics appeal as long as you're not applying too much positive/negative air pressure (although that can be ironed out by fine-tuning fan RPM speeds)

BTW, oddly enough, I haven't seen that dual-rad hybrid 2080 TI before - NICE!!! Hope it runs as GREAT as it looks, especially considering it's costing a whopping $2K (kinda nuts!)

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks a lot for your explanation. I thought of lian li o11 but then found this build which is exactly my components. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/2gHhP6

you can see that GPU in this build.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks a lot guys for your inputs. I am just gonna go with thermaltake view71 TG. Its not as big as x71 and has room for 360mm front, side and top +240 mm bottom + 140 fan at rear. LOL. I can mix and match and come to a conclusion while building. Will share my findings here.

Case: https://www.amazon.ca/Thermaltake-CA-1I7-00F1WN-00-Tempered-Vertical-Computer/dp/B074ZL25BP/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546544536&sr=1-2&keywords=Thermaltake+View+71

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I am putting two AIO's in my build. I am putting an EVGA CLC 280 (for the CPU) on the front as intake and PLAN on setting it up as a Push/Pull. I will put my other Corsair H110 (for the GPU using an NZXT G10 bracket) on the top exhausting air in a push configuration. Finally the rear 140mm opening will get a fan set for intake. This will give me a positively pressured case. The other advantage to this is the hot air will still normally rise to the top exhaust. By adding more fresh air from the rear, it also will lower the internal air temp before it goes through the GPU AIO.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I see will keep it in mind

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube