add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

4K, 60Hz --> 1440p, 144Hz?

NinjaKoala217
  • 14 months ago

Hi, so I was thinking about this: is it possible to get like a higher framerate if I would put down the resolution from 4K to 1440p?

For example, this is the monitor I'm looking at right now: Acer Predator XB281HK (https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/product/73tQzy/)

This monitor runs on 4K, 60Hz, but what if I put the resolution down to 1440p, would I be able to reach higher framerates?

Thanks in advance!

~ NinjaKoala

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

is it possible to get like a higher framerate if I would put down the resolution from 4K to 1440p?

Yes. Lowering the resolution can allow for a higher framerate. However, this is not necessarily the case, since you could be still be limited by the CPU (lowering resolution would make the graphics card capable of enabling your system to hit higher framerates if the CPU also allows). To make a better judgment, we'd need to know the details of your build.

Also note that not all games/monitors allow for very good scaling from 4K to 1440p, so you may or may not like how it ultimately looks to you.

If you're asking about higher refresh rates, then you'd have to look into overclocking the 60Hz monitor to 75Hz. Higher is possible, but unlikely. You'd be better off looking into a native 1440p/144Hz monitor, especially if you know you want to run at 1440p anyways.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your reply!

Here's the build I'm planning to build: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/zfcknH.

I think a 9900K and a RTX 2080 Ti could handle that easily, or am I wrong?

And I'll do some more research about this monitor to find out if this monitor will allow me to scale down to 1440p (and hopefully let me get higher framerates).

[comment deleted]
  • 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh alright, well then it's time for me to look again for a 1440p 144Hz monitor.

Thanks for the information!

EDIT: Are there actually any monitors which will allow you to scale down from 4K, 60Hz to 1440p, 144Hz? Or is there no technology available for that?

[comment deleted]
  • 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, need to do some research on it and hopefully it'll give me some good news :D

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I don’t know about that particular monitor but I do know that some TVs can, on my vizio the 5th hdmi does 4K 60Hz or 1080p at 120Hz. I would do some investigating probably contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

4k is over-rated.

get the X34P, the model that does 3440x1440p at 120hz.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

4k gaming might be overrated, but I still want 4k for the desktop. I'm even less convinced about >70Hz refresh.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I've got the original X34 and I can tell you that 3440x1440p is more than enough for desktop use.

You can split the screen into 1720x1440p half-screens, and I've never felt like I've needed more space.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube