add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Motherboard/Cpu error

JE514
  • 17 months ago

When I have the motherboard and cpu(listed below) together in a parts list I get this error "Some Intel Z370 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions." Is this a problem?

Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

cpu: i5 9600k

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

It would be a problem when your mainboard doesn't come with a high enough BIOS version and you also don't have access to a Coffee Lake (ix-8xxx series) CPU in order to do the update. Your options are to either risk it or choose a Z390 board instead.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

i5 9600k is coffee lake

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn't matter that the i5 9600k is a Coffee Lake CPU.

The mainboard needs to come with at least BIOS version 7B48v26 which was released on 7-7-2018. Should it come with an older BIOS version than that, it will not be able to POST/boot with an to it unknown 9th gen. CPU. See, the problem is that there is usually no telling which BIOS was flashed by the manufacturer or when it was manufacturered or how long it was stored in some distributor's shelves.

Whether you want to risk it or not, it's up to you.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I decided not to risk it so I found a cheap z390 board. Cheap as in $100 because all the z390 boards seem to be really high-end and REALLY expensive

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

best thing to do i wasted my money and now i got it all together and ive got no way to run it suspecting that my motherboard and cpu combo is the problem. Also i5-9600k is coffee lake refresh and its a 9th gen so most motherboards on the market only support 8th gen and would need an update using an older gen CPU to be able to post/bios. just get a z390. also if your spending $250+ on a CPU learn from me and don think youll get away with a cheap motherboard and dont buy gigabyte

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube