add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
nostalgia2302

12 months ago

For years I’ve refused to use Norton and McAffee products because they come pre-installed on many computers and also many software offers to install them, which you jave to refuse. One example is updating Adobe Flash. If you’re not careful they install McAffee. Basically all my life I’ve considered them addware, bad antiviruses and bloated products.

My sister bought Norton Security Premium which works on 10 PCs, iOS, and Android so I’m wondering if it is actually any good. I have a 6 core/12 thread CPU and 16GB RAM so system usage is not a worry.

Thank you

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 8 points

Norton is amazing... if you like your PC to perform like a Pentium 2 system...

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh come on, its not that bad!

Courtesy of added licences per pack, I've been using Norton on several machines since 2017 without having to spend a dime. Runs surprisingly well!

Then again, can't speak for past experiences (2017 prior) where supposedly newer rigs were transforming into P2 relics. That there is added value in itself for the added "back to the past" feature'ism.

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

We used to have it and I'm just saying it really does hinder performance for no real reason in my mind. Ram usage and disk usage is just unreal with that program. I will grant you its been probably 5 years since I've touched it, but after switching to windows common sense I just see no need to run an antivirus like that.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah 5 years is a long time! I certainly wouldn't invalidate your experiences with none of my own to share and I admit past user reviews (something i'm fixated to) have kept me away from Norton and McAfee for as long as I can remember.

I'm a bit of a performance monitoring fanatic with one of 3 displays exhibiting a whole host of metrics, sensory reports, temps, memory utilisation, GPU, active processes, etc etc. With one eye regularly on the performance maze, I can confidently add, Norton seems to be running as stealth as a ninja with very little cause for concern. There is the odd occasional intermittent surge but to-date nothing too disconcerting (same principle applies at stock settings - although, i have it fine-tuned now dropping some of the pointless activated features).

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

So my best bet is, there is no harm in trying? You can always uninstall later or create a restore point in case you don't like it. Worst case having to delete everything Norton from the Windows Registry :S

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

No harm in trying!. Although, I admit I'm not an expert in determining which of the current solutions in 2018 are best in terms of effectiveness and value . Norton certainly isn't the cheapest of the bunch hence it's worth probing a little deeper for additional recommendations from the community.

Restore points are vital in my book. I have these backed when installing any application, incl. OS updates (upped version increments as well as patched updates on current versions). lol, the funny thing is, I only "once" failed to apply that rule and that was a kernel-based installation of NZXT's CAM software - a buggy software at that! Ended up reinstalling Windows just because of it (yep a perfecto-freak)

Worst case having to delete everything Norton from the Windows Registry :S

Norton does offer a dedicated uninstall tool which i haven't tried and how well it performs is unknown to me. I also use "Advanced Uninstaller Pro" which does a pretty decent job in highlighting "left-over" registry files for deletion. Although, none of these applications offer a complete solution as something is always left behind depending on the complexity of parked data.

• 11 months ago
  • 4 points

I honestly wouldn't run Norton or McAfee even if it was free. I swear by Windows Defender and MBAM if necessary.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows Defender is able to destroy simple viruses, however it’s scan takes forever and it’s unable to detect sometimes and obviously infected system.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

If I had an obviously infected system I'd skip defender and use TRON Script though.

• 12 months ago
  • 3 points

In recent years, i have not had a single issue with Norton Internet Security, though I mainly use it for the firewall features since they are vastly superior to Windows Firewall. I find that Malwarebytes is a pretty good option.

Also people that complain about norton eating RAM, never seen it and i've used Norton since 2015

Avoid mcafee like the plague they're the worst antivirus currently

• 11 months ago
  • 6 points

Accidentally installed it on my system and can confirm the uninstall button does not work.

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points
  1. ...Why use Flash these days? Pretty much everything (thankfully) has moved on.

2. I don't normally recommend buying an AV solution unless it has specific features you want (it's hard to beat Bitdefender for free), but I guess it's too late for that. Might want to double check it isn't on an automatically renewing subscription, though.

3. Norton's gotten better apparently (actually performing reasonably well in independent testing, even) but I've had such awful experiences with it years ago that I don't think I would give it a shot. Even less so since I don't pay for AV, and if I did it would be a sale on something like Kaspersky.

4. If you have the extra installs, you can always give it a try.

5. McAfee can bugger off. You are flatly better off relying on Windows Defender than McAfee, despite the higher false positive rate.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

its better then mcffee now. that tells you something

[comment deleted]
  • 12 months ago
  • 0 points

Are you serious? 7GB RAM usage for an antivirus?

Did you use the free or paid version of Malwarebytes?

As for Norton, I read a comment saying that it was the free version that is loaded with adds and is very ressource hungry. The paid version is less invasive, and apparently Norton has improved over the years.

[comment deleted]
  • 12 months ago
  • 3 points

I dont either, I use windows common sense.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Was the Norton version the paid or the free one?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube