• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Dreadvolt 4 months ago

I've got the NZXT h500i case with RBG light strips that leave a bit of an ugly glare on the tempered glass panel. I've heard that some form of diffusion paper can be used to eliminate the glare and leave a cleaner glow from the strip.

I believe that simple wax paper could do this, but not sure if it's a wise idea to put inside a computer case.

Has anyone tried to do any DIY LED diffusion inside their rig, and if so, what did you use?

Comments Sorted by:

Radox-0 5 Builds 2 points 4 months ago

Not tried any wax paper, but personally I used frosted acrylic. In my white fusion build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/KHCypg laid out LED strips along the bottom then put a piece of frosted acrylic over it to diffuse the light so you can't see the individual led's (picture 8 likely shows what I mean). I gather plenty of recent diffusing LED items such as the NXZT hue 2 underglow kit is similar.

With that said did not know of diffusion paper, that may be easier to work with and could do the job doing some digging around after your post. In fact given me more ideas :D Not sure of wax paper either, but given you would likely only be placing it over the LED strips which do not get that warm, cant envisage too many issues.

Dreadvolt submitter 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

If I'm not mistaken the LED strips included with the case are magnetized are they not? Maybe simply wrapping a piece of paper over the strip would be enough. I don't know, I guess it depends on how bright the individual LEDs are. I'd imagine that simply scotch taping them wouldn't be enough to really diffuse them, but maybe?

I'm really hoping for something simple and cheap. RGB isn't a huge component in my build. I'd like to see it, but not have it be garish.

Radox-0 5 Builds 2 points 4 months ago

I would wait to get the case first. It may turn out your okay in terms of seeing the individual LED's. Looking at the case and default location they are in, there is a black frame going few in slightly into the tempered glass which may be enough to remove the appearance of individual LED's from the outside.

Can then review if anything is needed, but suspect you may be okay.

Dreadvolt submitter 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

Smart call. Thanks!

BetrayedPredator 2 points 4 months ago

I would recommend just buying diffusion paper, it’s pretty cheap

BetrayedPredator 2 points 4 months ago

Yes, you might need to layer it to achieve proper diffusion

bucketofcrud12 5 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

you can use phone backlights for diffused lighting effects. they're pretty neat and since they're so thin, you can put them in tight places really easily. these can be had for about $10/piece from mod shops.