add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First PC build $700 and under, light gaming multi-media, home office and light video editing (game capture). Building with my 8 year old son.

Dam5968
  • 75 months ago

CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core - $114.46

Motherboard Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ - $95.37

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 (Purchased) $67.49

Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $61.75

Video Card Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB $127.78

Case Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower $42.38

Power Supply Corsair 500W ATX12V $64.18

Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $21.17

Case Fan Apevia CF312SL-UBL (3-Pack) 63.9 CFM 120mm - $18 & Cougar Dual-X 73.2 CFM 140mm - $15.88 $18.00

Total - $628.46

I’m building my first PC with my 8 year old son and wanted to stay under $700. Still have operating system (w7 or 8.1 – please advise) to buy. How does this look for Minecraft and other light gaming with video capture. I also will be using it for my home office PC which will need some light video and photo editing. Finally it would be nice to use as a multi-media system for the basement (were my office is). All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• 75 months ago
  • 2 points

For gameplay recording, go for nvidia for use of 'shadowplay' which is a system-light method of video capture supported by the geforce series, but this will only work with DirectX games, the open gl of minecraft is not supported and a third party capture program would be required as normal.

windows 8 will give you slightly better fps, (I'm talking about 3 ish) more than windows 7 and 8 has support for newer versions of DirectX and will have longer lasting support considering it is the newer OS, but if you haven't used it you will need to get use to the difference.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hU2r

Intel: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hU4z

These should perform about the same in games with the intel being better in minecraft and 'light games', which I can only assume are more single-threaded than multicore optimised.

The AMD will be ahead my quite a margin in mantle games, i.e. bf4, theif, but has less of an upgrade path compared to the intel which can take up to an i7-4771.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks I appreciate the info. I use an El Gato caputure card right now and would connect it to this build. Im use to 7 but have wanted to try 8 and getting use to the difference is fun to me as long as the program is solid. thanks again.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh if you have a dedicated capture card get any GPU you want. a 270 is the same price as a 660 and is slightly better.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

So your thought is beef up the cpu, thank you

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks fine. The only thing I would say is to go for the 6350. It only on average 25 dollars more and its base clock is 3.9, vs 3.5 on the 6300, which will net you a tangible benefit.

I always recommend people put as much money into the cpu as they can ( up to a certain point,) so that it will last you longer in terms of keeping pace with everday application and if you decide to upgrade your GPU you can have a CPU that will keep pace.

The other thing you can consider is going with A10-7850k, or other A-series, and putting the extra money into higher speed memory. (APUs benefit much more with high speed memory than their CPU counterparts since they have the integrated GPU and read/write a lot of stuff to memory.)

The reason I suggest this is that for games like Minecraft an A-series will do very well and if you choose to upgrade to a discrete graphics card later on you have an APU that can keep pace with it.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Here you go, give this a try.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor $84.74 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard $57.78 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card PNY GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card $239.99 @ Micro Center
Case Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case $34.99 @ TigerDirect
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ Micro Center
Optical Drive LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer $15.00 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $592.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-28 10:40 EDT-0400
  • 75 months ago
  • 1 point

So basically we want a better gpu, thanks looks good.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty powerful little processor, if you look at benchmarks, the fx 6300 and this are very close.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

I see that, Im a newbie who has always wanted to get more involved in computers (love all electronics) and since my son is now old enough to show an interest it is perfect to teach him. I appreciate the build this is a great sight.

• 75 months ago
  • 2 points

That's great! These make great father/son projects, enjoy it!!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube