• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

SardaoVoador 1 month ago

Hi eveyone, This one should present a decent challenge for you (I think). I'm looking for a case to replace the existing in my parts list: https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/qRYBJ8 I want a silent PC and intend to buy a RX 570, but I don't want the GPU to rev up, so I need a case that provides decent cooling, while being silent. Other requisites/constraints: 1. Available in the EU, due to insane customs fees from ouside EU; 2. Maximum 100eur BUT IDDEALLY 80 eur.

What I need is to have 2 options: 1. Closed case, no window 2. Big side window (this is the challenge)

Thank you all!

Comments Sorted by:

vagabond139 5 Builds 3 points 1 month ago

A Fractal Define C, S2, or R5.

mack_au 4 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

You can't cool without noise, and if you don't move air the case is going to heat up. That's physics.

My three suggestions Fractal Core 2300 - around 50 euro Focus G - Around 80 euro Define S or Meshify C around 100 euro

SardaoVoador submitter 2 points 1 month ago

I mack_au, thanks for the reply! I fully understand the physics :) But some cases come with better fans, some are known to better allow air circulation, some come with better bearing on their fans, etc. I just to minimize GPU fan speed by conveniently cooling the case with much larger, slower spinning fans. And I don't fully understand how using an ATX case will affect a micro-ATX mounted system. That's the reasoning behind my questions, I'v been batch reading about all these components, and find it very difficult to pinpoint a case. I've been away from these matters for a long while. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

mack_au 4 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

No problem :)

A micro-atx board is the same width as a normal ATX board, and uses the same mounting holes. It will have less PCI-E slots.

The best option for a quiet case for you would be the Define S because it has noise insulation with no side window.

Is there a reason you want to replace the existing case? It probably won't make a huge difference, unless you're really sensitive to noise.

SardaoVoador submitter 1 point 1 month ago

There's no case to replace! Starting from scratch and I'dd like it to be silent. :)

Root_User 2 points 1 month ago

AMD's 570 offerings aren't particularly power-efficient in general. On top of that, MSI's ARMOR cooler isn't too great either. Consider alternatives with a more efficient GPU and/or better cooling setup, or you might just want to tweak power settings (your mileage may vary) to see what you could do.

Thank for your reply! Could you please point me to a better option in (roughly) the same price range?

Root_User 2 points 1 month ago

What's the actual price you were planning to pay for that RX 570? (The prices aren't available on PCPP.)

Depending on what you're doing, and exact prices with your preferred retailers, the 1060 3GB or 6GB may be a good option. There are plenty of cards out there with appropriate cooling setups.

This 570 would cost me 250 eur (285 usd). I don't even know if I need this kind of power for my intentions (https://es.pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/302092-silent-home-office-pc-fusion-360-ready). Could you point me in the right direction, powersavin-wise and with intended use in this post?

kschendel 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

The XFX RX 570 RS 4GB XXX Edition is supposed to be very quiet, and I don't think you'll miss the extra 4GB of video memory for what you are doing.

For the case, if you really want quiet with a window, I think you are looking at €100-ish regardless of how you do it. I like the Fractal Design Define series, the Define C would be suitable. The alternative is an ordinary €50-something case with very quiet fans installed (Noctua A12x25, beQuiet Silent Wings 3, and the like) but the fan cost will offset the case savings.

Thank you kschendel, What would you suggest for the GPU, bearing in mind power savings and intended use (https://es.pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/302092-silent-home-office-pc-fusion-360-ready)?

kschendel 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

I guess that XFX model isn't available to you, I think the next best for your purposes would be [the Sapphire Nitro+}(https://es.pcpartpicker.com/product/6xM323/sapphire-radeon-rx-570-8gb-nitro-video-card-11266-09-20g). It's supposed to be a bit quieter than the Sapphire Pulse. It does however use a fair amount of power and you might have to raise your PSU wattage by 50w or so to leave a comfortable margin.

Since we aren't dealing with bargain priced 570's any more, another option would be this 1060 6GB which draws less power, should be quiet, and is actually a bit faster than the RX 570. It does cost a bit more, but with your current parts list you still come in under €1000 (assuming that your parts list prices are close to correct):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor €167.90 @ Amazon Espana
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard €121.15 @ PC Componentes
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory €143.82 @ Alternate
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive €87.99 @ Amazon Espana
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive -
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB AMP! Edition Video Card €239.99 @ Amazon Espana
Case Fractal Design - Define C TG ATX Mid Tower Case €105.45 @ Amazon Espana
Power Supply be quiet! - Pure Power 10 CM 400 W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply €65.67 @ Amazon Espana
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total €931.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-09 18:43 CET+0100

Of course the monitor has gone missing from this parts list so I'm not sure where that fits in, budget-wise.

Thank you for the quick reply. I'll have to cook all the ingredients, it's getting expensive :)