PCPartPicker

• Register

Whats the difference between the NZXT H500 and the NZXT S340?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

DR.Cringe 1 month ago

All I can see is just one extra bay.

Comments Sorted by:

eesti 1 point 1 month ago

The H500 is the successor case to the S340

Planet_shone -4 points 1 month ago

DONT BUY the s340, it is absolutely terrible. The airflow is bad, its made of cheap parts, and it sucks for water cooling/AIO support

BetrayedPredator 1 point 1 month ago

The S340 Elite also suffers from poor airflow

It’s a case for the looks

Root_User 1 point 1 month ago

So for this particular case, it looks better?

I prefer the H500 for looks and it does have some advantages over the S340 Elite

MatStern 1 point 1 month ago

Wow, and I upgraded to the Meshify C from the S340 Elite with almost zero thermal difference, 1-2c at best on max loads which is not worth mentioning.

Some of these assumptions are almost laughable. What on earth do you refer to as "good quality airflow"? Please don't say "in-take front panelled mesh" as if it were the only solution for sufficient/great airflow.

How to get good airflow 101:

Step 1: Don’t force air through two small gaps at the top and bottom of the case, air doesn’t like 90 degreee turns.

Step 2: The top of the case should allow more than one fan (it sure as hell can fit with a mid-tower)

Step 3: Mesh panels instead of a solid steel, or other ways to add other airflow paths than the top and bottom (ie side cutouts)

I dropped more than 1-2C going to a Meshify C from a S340 Elite and can run my fans quieter. You need to buy some actually decent fans and populate the fan slots to actually see a difference of your bigger limiter will be your fans moving air instead of the case airflow. But a lot of people think two $3-5 fans is enough.

Oh and the default configuration for the S340 Elite fans is absolute ***. Two exhaust fans and no intake? Genius for GPU thermals

My S340 Elite had my GPU fans kicking in at minor load when it shouldn’t be, while my Meshify C is fine. Your GPU wants a lot more airflow than a CPU and gets a lot hotter

Step 1: Don’t force air through two small gaps at the top and bottom of the case, air doesn’t like 90 degree turns.

Those are not small gaps where the opening width almost hits 1 inch on either side with zero funneling obstructions (unlike a number of other mid-tier shelved units). The opening is wide enough for the fans to breath comfortably without the supposed and amplified notion of "90 degree turn" limitations which are at times overtly expounded. Air velocity and CFM should not be confused here with lesser air choked unforgiving vents where the CFM/RPM ratio can project higher turbulent or pressure points. Something NZXT tackles very well with their recent line up of cases.

Step 2: The top of the case should allow more than one fan (it sure as hell can fit with a mid-tower)

Unnecessary for the vast number of consumers. The added mounts beyond a 2x2 (in/out) configuration is more inclined towards the <1% "enthusiast/aesthetics" criterion or the adventurous "extreme" overclocker who is willing to spend more in exchange for little added performance (negligible in most instances)

This is nothing more than a preference and does not subject the case to any meaningful measure of inadequacy.

Step 3: Mesh panels instead of a solid steel, or other ways to add other airflow paths than the top and bottom (ie side cutouts)

Again, overtly expounded theoretics. For the vast many, it doesn't mean anything but for a tiny handful it may mean the world but not always in a practical-sense. Ultimately, it's border line fringed improvements which seperate the 2 cases and both offer other features/aesthetics which are more imposing for buyers (a valid process amongst affirmative case options).

I only hold a strong view in favour of the S340 ELITE as I was expecting far more effective curved performance advantages with the Meshify C. A negligible range of thermal profiteering simply does not overshadow a rival offering with "poor quality airflow". Thats a far fetched underestimation on your part which also begs the question whether you've had the privilege of working with this case.

Oh and the default configuration for the S340 Elite fans is absolute ***. Two exhaust fans and no intake? Genius for GPU thermals

lol that was just a dig for the sake of it! Case fan orientations are not fixed and assuming you are fully aware of that already, we'll let that slide. If you are familiar with NZXTs marketing schemes with these later case editions, the inclined method is to encourage AIO support/expandability hence the vacant front mounts. If someone is building PC's and is unfamiliar with fan-orientation possibilities and the freedom to remount for an I-O config, the onus is on them.

My S340 Elite had my GPU fans kicking in at minor load when it shouldn’t be, while my Meshify C is fine. Your GPU wants a lot more airflow than a CPU and gets a lot hotter

lol my EVGA 1080 TI SC -1st edition (poorly optimised custom PCB but workable HSF) didn't have that problem on idle or through general productivity. If it did, lol those conditions are the least of everyones concerns. At game-level performance or the emergence of GPU encoding/rendering is where i'd be interested to form comparisons, where temps hold more weight in establishing "cause for concern". Anyway, it doesn't matter if you are "personally" witnessing some performance advantages which you are happy with (I'm happy for you too lol). But the key principle here being its simply not correct to form an ill-advised opinion, asserting "The S340 Elite also suffers from poor airflow" - not true!

S340 ELITE:

• the Airflow is great whether 1x1/2x2 intake/exhaust. Had it not been for the more pleasing minimalist H500, I would be recommending this case in 2019!

• the build quality is great for a mid-tier premium build for under £80 (although priced higher in 2018). In fact, coming from a whole line of superior build quality cases (Fractal Designs prior-2016 offerings, Phanteks, etc) the S340 may trim a little weight but sure does pack a punch for its overall design layout, build quality and cable management.

• Great AIO cooler support (280mm rad max)

So what on earth are you talking about? WHO ARE YOU? lol

Airflow isn’t amazing, it’s a very average case when looking at other cases in the mid tower lineup

Any case with a front panel designed like the S340 Elite will struggle with airflow, I’m it sure why people think forcing air through two small gaps in the top and bottom of the case is good.

The radiator support for a mid-tower is very much average. The Meshify C supports 360mm and 240mm (front and top), the O11D supports two 360mm (top and bottom) and another 280 (might be 240mm) on the side.

It’s also lacking nice features like a hinged side panel and better mouthing for the front panel than obnoxious plastic clips.

It’s cable management is honestly not that amazing to me, I went from an S340 Elite to a Meshify C and have no overall differences outside of a motherboard issue with USB 3.0 and the header position.

Planet_shone 1 point 1 month ago

I don't believe you read my comment correctly. I was talking about the original s340, i have no experience with the elite, but i currently own the regular s340 and hate it.

marcoscandella 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

I have the S340 Elite and it's an amazing case. The temps are perfect in my case. I'm running i7 8700k, gtx 1070 8gb, 16gb RAM and I run games on ultra at 1080p res and the CPU has never had any temperature issues. And the case looks amazing also if you have plenty of RGB lights inside like I do.

Planet_shone 1 point 1 month ago

I dont have the elite, I was talking about the original s340. I cannot speak of my experiences with the elite, because i don't have any. I can only speak about the original.

[comment deleted by staff]