• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

eesti 1 month ago

So I got the empty shell for the Nintendo Wii, do you know what form factor of motherboard I can put in it?

Comments Sorted by:

ssjg5rlly 1 point 1 month ago

Maybe a micro ITX?

bucketofcrud12 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

mini-ITX?

Phreakwars 5 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Thin-mini ITX, PICO power supply, would be best path. Probably wanna use an ASUS H110T/CSM.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132833

Are you looking to just run some emulators? If so, I'd honestly just use a Pi-3

I bet you could EASILY stuff this bad boy into a Wii case, cutting would be a breeze. You just need a space for the smaller I/O shield, mount with some plastic stands, Some vents for the CPU cooler, & VIOLA!! Do it and post a YouTube, I wanna see it!!

You can get some feet to mount the motherboard onto from here: https://paradisearcadeshop.com/en/home/hardware/fasteners/21_pcb-feet?search_query=feet&results=21 Just glue gun it all down using the feet/risers.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7 GHz Dual-Core Processor $133.89 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $54.99 @ Newegg
Other ASUS H110T/CSM LGA 1151 Intel H110 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Thin Mini-ITX Motherboards - Intel $80.63
Other Biwin® 120GB MLC SATA III 6Gb/s NGFF,M.2 2242 SSD Solid State Drive $37.99
Other Cooler Master H116 (Copper Core) Low-Profile CPU Cooler - 80mm Slim Cooling Fan & Heatsink - For Intel Socket LGA 1150 / 1151 / 1155 / 1156 $11.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $318.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-06 06:16 EST-0500

I'll even bet that if you tried hard enough, you could even make the CD/DVD rom drive slot fully functional. Challenge anyone? That would be one BA case/build!! Take note though, the MB dimension are 6.7x6.7 and a Wii measures 44 mm (1.73 in) wide, 157 mm (6.18 in) tall and 215.4 mm (8.48 in) deep. You would have to extend the back I/O from the case itself to fit. A custom cut indeed, but do-able. For the CPU portion, I personally, would just cut a huge hole and put a grill guard over it. Come on now.. you're hacking a Wii.. DO IT PROPER AND VENT WELL!! Don't know of any other boards,, maybe a NUC? The smaller the board, the more the performance hit you take.. At least till another generation of smaller, more powerful components comes out.. and it will.

FishingLegend 1 point 1 month ago

The footprint of a mini-ITX is definitely larger than the side profile of a Wii, so I would never attempt it. Go ahead though.

Phreakwars 5 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

Yeah, you'd have to cut away at one side of the wii just so the MB could overlap out, even using a thin-mini ITX. Would probably have to be the left or right side. The back is deep enough at 8.48", it's the side space. I suppose if you didn't wanna hack at it like that, you'd almost HAVE TO use a NUC or a Pi. A NUC is what, 4.5"×4.4"? Now THAT would work. A Pi is way too weak to be used as an actual computer, not that the NUC is much better, but it is more capable and will run Windows 10 unlike a Pi. But with the leftover space in the Wii from a NUC, you could focus on cooling a bit better and maybe upping the CPU potential. I seriously would like to see someone do it. If you can get a PC into a NUC, no reason at all you can't fit one into a Wii.

Brett_5s 1 point 1 month ago

easiest option is a raspberry pi