add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
koiister

12 months ago

I've been trying to use nordvpn to lower my ping in league of legends. The NA servers for the game are in Chicago which is quite far from where I am so I figured connecting to a server in Chicago would maybe lower my ping a little bit but I noticed when I connect to a Chicago server through nordvpn I'm disconnected from Ethernet. Is this how vpns work or am I doing something wrong.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

A full tunnel VPN configuration will add a virtual interface to your network interface devices. The internet connection made by your Ethernet card is only used to open the tunnel to the VPN service, where a new gateway is forwarded to you from. Your Ethernet interface should still appear to exist and connect to a network, but it will no longer be your gateway, so windows won't recognize it as the internet providing interface.

At work I'm in the process of setting up a VPN server for experimentation/validation to deploy company wide. I am looking at openVPN for this, which, when installed, includes the installation of a new virtual network adapter.. the "Tap adapter V9." This becomes your new internet connection device. Your VPN client may vary, but the principal is the same.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

VPN is essentially tunneling your data to its server so you only appear to be connected to the VPN sever instead of insividual domains. As Allan said well it will create a virtual interface, however you are still using Ethernet. And also, a VPN will not increase download or upload speeds, or decrease ping. Actually most VPNs add a few Ms of ping as your internet is rpted to the VPN secret first and then the server you are connected to.

• 12 months ago
  • 0 points

Comment in existing topic: VPN. Is it worth it?

• 12 months ago
  • -1 points

No man the VPN will not lower your ping... You simply need a faster connection to the Internet.

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

That’s not always the truth.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube