• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

BoyMcCool 3 months ago

I'm building my first PC and I'm not into gaming, just interested in building a very small, aesthetically pleasing PC. I'm using an AMD Ryzen 3 2200 CPU (cheap and reliable). I'll be running Kubuntu Linux on it, and after some research I don't think I'll have issues with an AMD/Linux configuration without a GPU. I'm looking for the smallest cases they make without GPU compatibility. It can either be good looking as it is OEM, or metal so I can make it good looking myself (I'm into looks more than functionality since I'll have plenty of functionality with it being just a home/student PC without any games). Brand new to PC Part Picker as well, hoping for a good first experience with you all on the forum!

Comments Sorted by:

JCMsergox 4 Builds 2 points 3 months ago

Id take a look at the InWin Chopin. Very small, and has a 150w PSU included.

BoyMcCool submitter 1 point 3 months ago

Thank you for the insight. I've found the InWin Chopin before but was looking for more options, but after finding out I could get the brushed aluminum version shipped from amazon.co.uk for $110 I think I'm gonna go with that

pegotico 2 Builds 1 point 3 months ago

Like JCMsergox mentioned... the Chopin is small and very nice. Just so you have an idea of how small it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa9xbnIdrFw&t=87s

This is the board I decided on. I plan on getting the brushed aluminum version shipped from the UK for $110

pegotico 2 Builds 1 point 3 months ago

Great.. so you decided on the H310 board instead of AMD.

Nater650 1 point 3 months ago

You mean the Ryzen 3 2200G?

Lol. Technically yes, but I figured everyone would understand what I meant without having to add the G at the end

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

Not cheap, but you might look at the Sapphire FS-FP5V mini STX board with V1000 CPU/APU included. I gather it's $325 to $450 depending on the CPU you choose.

I updated my build. I'm now going with an Intel Pentium G4400 CPU, MSI H310I Pro Mini ITX motherboard, 8 GB RAM (1x8gb so I can upgrade in the future), 1 TB M.2 SSD (SATA), all crammed inside the InWin Chopin brushed aluminum case. The whole build without keyboard and monitor is $430

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

Hasn't that CPU been superseded by the G4560? probably not a lot of difference I guess.

Root_User 1 point 3 months ago

I'm now going with an Intel Pentium G4400 CPU, MSI H310I Pro Mini ITX motherboard,

The G4400 won't be compatible with that board out of the box. I'd just get a G5400 or consider other compatible processors, rather than trying to force that to work.

I went with an i3-8350k, thank you!

Root_User 1 point 3 months ago

went

Have you already purchased it? If not, you may want to consider the i3-8100. You'd save a bit and get visibly similar performance to a stock 8350k.

I have changed literally everything on my list haha. I went a micro ATX build instead, you can check it out on my page. I'm a newbie and coupled with how many options there are out there of comparable quality and price it's a recipe for disaster for someone as ADHD as me. I took advantage of my dad paying for a portion of it for Christmas and went with a better quality build

caparts 1 point 3 months ago

SG13? It can fit a graphics card but it's pretty small.