• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Mighty_Spoon 4 months ago

How difficult is it, really? How much does it cost?

Comments Sorted by:

pegotico 2 Builds 2 points 4 months ago

Coldzero is a much better place. He doesn't use magnets.

https://www.coldzero.eu/gpu-backplates/

m52nickerson 1 Build 2 points 4 months ago

Did not know about him, thanks.

pegotico 2 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

You're welcome!

Mighty_Spoon submitter 1 point 4 months ago

I actually just checked the website out. I do have a question though... Is the white area on the GPU going to be made as white?

m52nickerson 1 Build 2 points 4 months ago

If you click on a design you will find that you can customize all the colors, or have part translucent, or add RGB.

pegotico 2 Builds 2 points 4 months ago

Little late to this topic. But the best place to get a gpu backplate would be coldzero. He ships worldwide..

https://www.coldzero.eu/gpu-backplates/

eesti 0 points 4 months ago

All you need to do is cut some thin metal in the shape of the GPU and cut holes corresponding with the screws on the back

PrivatePengu 2 points 4 months ago

Why metal? That would never be practical to work with. Acrylic would work much better.

Is metal the best material to use? It's completely safe? I've seen stuff with acrylic.

eesti 3 points 4 months ago

I would highly suggest some sort of buffer between the metal and the board, like rubber

As in a rubber sheet of some sort? Or do you mean some kind of like rubber pads at certain points? Maybe even some Flex Seal. (Not really).

eesti 2 points 4 months ago

I'm thinking rubber washers where the screws go in

bucketofcrud12 5 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

one thing I've used before in conjuntion with a metal backplate is just a bunch of thermal pads.

gorkti200 3 Builds 3 points 4 months ago

Cutting sheet metal should never be thought of as completely safe.

If you are just looking for a visual addition, you can just cut a piece of acrylic, paint it however you want it to look, and lay it on top of the GPU. If you aren't moving your PC, it doesn't actually need to be screwed in.

If you are trying to create a functional, "installable" backplate, you have got some more research to do.

I see... Thanks for the reply!

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

Excellent way to kill your card! Though seriously, please use acrylic or put an insulation layer to stop the plate from shorting out the card.