• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

TheLaundryPole 1 month ago

As title, if I want to connect the same audio output to both a PC and one or more consoles, can I do that without having to connect the speakers to the Monitor? And if yes, do I need extra equipment?

Comments Sorted by:

Evil_Paroxysm 5 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

You'll need an audio interface with enough inputs as you need. If you're talking about having game sounds come from a console and music playing on your pc through the same speakers at the same time you'd need speakers with multiple inputs as I did a lot of searching myself for something along those lines and the only thing relevant is a full on bulky mixing board.

TheLaundryPole submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Not at the same time fortunately, I just want to avoid having to plug and unplug everything everytime.

In terms of having multiple inputs it seems to me that Soundbars are better equipped than classic speakers, those tend to have only an Aux and an optical at best as far as I've found.

What is your budget? Do you own the speakers or are you looking for suggestions there also?

What kind of audio quality are you after? I'd personally go for some 4/5" studio monitors as your speakers but not everyone has the budget or space.

Optimally you're looking for USB input for your PC and Toslink optical for your console. Finding an interface that does both cheaply without bulk isnt easy. I actually run a Schiit Jotunheim for ease but I needed more inputs and needed headphone outs. Only downfall is I run a $30 or so DAC for my PS4 into the Jotunheim, other than that hiccup it was all inclusive for my needs.

I could use suggestions to be honest, trying to stay under 100 euro since I do most of my important listening on headphones but monitor speakers are way too inadequate, I would use the speakers for casual video watching and console gaming.

Adding to that, it seems I cannot control a Nintendo Switch volume through the console when docked and the monitor has no volume control so that's inconvenient.

I'd look into some Logitech models for your budget or Mackie CR3/CR4. You'll need to buy cables to fit your need but they do have two analog inputs.

Adding to that, it seems I cannot control a Nintendo Switch volume through the console when docked and the monitor has no volume control so that's inconvenient.

I can not speak to the Switches audio capabilities in that regard. I own one but have only used audio on the handheld or on a big TV through an HDMI surround receiver.

So Logitech has multiple audio inputs, good to know, thanks for the help.