• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

SubNauticaWaterWorld47 5 months ago

I found a craigslist listing where they are selling the follow setup for 400$.

CPU Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v3 @2.30GHz
GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Memory 64 GB
Storage 1TB

Comments Sorted by:

Khaosix 22 Builds 4 points 5 months ago

At work, I have an HP Z240 which has roughly the same specs as you've listed above and we've seen dozens of these machines sell for around $500.

$400 is a great deal, but it's not crazy. Used PCs drop in value fast. Don't tell the people in the "For Sale or Trade" section though, they don't like to hear that their 4770/970 machine isn't worth $1000 anymore..

SubNauticaWaterWorld47 submitter 1 point 5 months ago

Thank you. I really appreciate it. You think this could run some game servers?

I updated the post could you take another look? It also has a 1060 6gb in it.

Khaosix 22 Builds 1 point 5 months ago

That makes the build seem a little too good to be true, but you never know, it could be a small business trying to clear out old machines.. The best thing you can do is just have the guy meet you in a public place and check it out.

In regards to your other question, what type of server are you wanting to run and how big of a population? I would say that this machine could probably host more than your internet connection can provide, so I am just going to say yes.

I want to run an ARK server with a max of 15 people. I have a 100Mbps connection up and down but from what I have read xeons don't work well with Ark servers due to their low clock speed can you confirm this?

Memo1010 1 Build 1 point 5 months ago

is it only those parts, not a whole build?

It's an entire build (motherboard, psu etc.).

Zeromus725 1 point 5 months ago

Seems like a pretty good deal, especially for a small business.

SubNauticaWaterWorld47 submitter 2 points 5 months ago

I updated the post could you take another look? It also has a 1060 6gb in it.

Zeromus725 1 point 5 months ago

That definitely ups the overall value of the system.

• I can’t really say for certain what sort of value would be put on that CPU, I have very little experience in old server components. If I had need for such a thing I might initially ask a seller for ~$60. Reasoning being: you can get 8core/16thread CPUs today for $180 when new. This Xeon is 10core/20thread, but also a significantly worse performance per core. So, the Xeon isn’t really going to be doing intense gaming and could potentially be worse at multicore than the Ryzen 1700 for $180. It’s also used, though that was obvious.
  • The GPU (1060 6GB) is a venerable card that many people still have and use today. New they go for ~$250. I would imagine a used one might go for between $100-160 depending on who you buy it from.
  • Server MoBos can be expensive. Used however, especially on a not-very-modern CPU, isn’t really worth as much. Typically, in non-server situations people get a motherboard a bit cheaper than the CPU. Maybe $60? I wouldn’t want to buy higher than $100 for an old motherboard.
  • Used power supplies aren’t necessarily fun... or safe... but I imagine since somebody used it in a system for some amount of time, it’s probably adequate. $10
  • I think RAM is where the value really starts to kick in. Currently, low speed DDR4 with 64GB capacity is $450 new. Used, I’d ask for $200. Though RAM could be a lot more pricy as well.

Beyond that things that could add to the price:

• 1TB HDD might be worth $15
  • A SSD, used, could go for a price between $20-60 depending on speed, form factor (not sure if they used M.2 as a standard back then), and capacity.
  • I have absolutely no idea what sort of value a case might be. Unless it’s a CaseLabs. If it’s CaseLabs in good condition I’d say the value jumps up by $100. They were known for their amazing quality cases and on top of that, the company is no more which means it would be a very neat-o thing to brag about. If it isn’t CaseLabs, well... it’s sort of just a case, you know?

In conclusion, my minimum estimate is somewhere around $430. It could also be worth a lot more though, and like I said: I don’t really have experience or a vast pool of knowledge when it comes to server-grade components. You should definitely NOT just take my opinion into account as I do not believe my opinion holds much value here. Try to at least find someone’s second opinion.

I’d say if you need a decent multi-core performance, GPU, and massive quantities of RAM this would be a great buy.

[comment deleted]
Granddy 1 Build 1 point 5 months ago

I'm pretty sure that e5-2650 v3 is actually a haswell cpu which has 2 more cores and is 20% faster in the single core scores than the e5-2650 v1 which you correctly stated was a sandy bridge. Op said that this is an entire working build he's getting for 400 dollars and I think it is personally worth it due to the cost of lga 2011 mobos, the cost of the cpu itself and the massive amount of ram (even if it is the cheaper ecc memory).