• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

mr_cool998 3 months ago

I'm looking to do some upgrades to my PC which includes adding some RGB aspects to it. I'm looking to do multi-color rainbow lighting, not one color at a time. If anyone knows of good videos and good RGB strips to check out please let me know, I don't even know where to start with this. Here are the specs for both the original PC and the upgrades. I don't want to do anything crazy, just a couple of LED Strips around the case to give it some lighting.

Original

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-4460 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard -
Memory Crucial - Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.89 @ Amazon
Storage Hitachi - Ultrastar 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $63.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply XFX - 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ SuperBiiz
Keyboard Thermaltake - POSEIDON Z RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard -
Mouse Corsair - Sabre RGB Wired Optical Mouse $45.10 @ Amazon
Other PNY GeForce GTX 750 $159.99
Other Raidmax BlackStorm (White / Blue) $19.99
Other HP W2082a Purchased For $89.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $728.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-06 16:56 EST-0500

Upgrades

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $159.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $105.10 @ B&H
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $144.99 @ Corsair
Case Corsair - Carbide 400C White ATX Mid Tower Case $0.00
Case Fan Corsair - LL120 RGB LED 43.2 CFM 120mm Fan $34.31 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $444.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-06 16:56 EST-0500

Comments Sorted by:

PrivatePengu 2 points 3 months ago

First of all, you can't control the LL120s RGB if you don't get the triple pack, or get a Lighting Node Pro + Fan RGB controller externally. Secondly, you might want to consider a case with a tempered glass side panel instead just for aesthetics, and lastly, you'll want to make sure you get a motherboard that has an adressable RGB header, as well as an adressable RGB LED strip, since otherwise the entire strip will only shine one color at a time.

mr_cool998 submitter 2 Builds 2 points 3 months ago

Damn I forgot about this post. I forgot to make some changes to this post since the time I posting. I've already bought the case so it's what I'm permanently sticking with. Also I did end up scrapping the LL120 fan anyways. If I can't do multi-colored at once then I'm fine with that I can just scrap the idea.

Javild27 1 point 3 months ago

Does the gigabyte Gaming 5 X470 have addressable RGB? I wanted to get the asus prime but it seems it doesn't have addressable RGB

PrivatePengu 1 point 3 months ago

What do you mean adressable RGB? If you mean as in it has an adressable RGB header, you can always check the specs for it. It has three pins (bottom right header). If you can see this header on your motherboard, it might be an ADDressable RGB header. That means it supports RGB devices that have this type of connector. If the connector on the device isn't of this type, it could mean a couple of things:

A) The device uses the standard RGB header (the two others seen in the image above).

B) The device uses it's own header, which means you might need to get a controller from the device manufacturer.

C) The device connects via internal USB 2.0, which often means you have to use the manufacturers software and not the motherboards software.

Hope this helps. The motherboard you wrote doesn't seem to have an addressable RGB header, as it uses the standard 12v / G / R / B pin layout for its RGB headers.

Javild27 1 point 3 months ago

This one has a header that looks like that but says something different, it says JRAINBOW, https://pcpartpicker.com/product/svdxFT/msi-x470-gaming-pro-carbon-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-gaming-pro-carbon

Is it the same thing?

PrivatePengu 1 point 3 months ago

As noted in the specifications tab:

1 x WS2812B Individually Addressable RGB LED strip 5V connector (JRAINBOW1)

That makes it an addressable RGB header. You can also always check the manual for the pin layout. Here's what the headers look like:

Pin # 1 2 3 4
Addressable +5v Data (No pin) Ground
Standard +12v G R B
ColinHirosky 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago
mr_cool998 submitter 2 Builds 1 point 3 months ago

Damn those look sick I may get them in the future