• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

VictoriusII 5 months ago

I want to overclock 2 x 2080 Ti and i9 7980xe, but how much radiator do i need?

Comments Sorted by:

Radox-0 5 Builds 3 points 5 months ago

Depends largely on if you overclock things, (7980XE at stock may consume about 180watts, but overclocked and under a all core load can do 2x-3x as much) how quiet you want things, case airflow etc. I would aim for at least 720mm with said radiators having good access to airflow. More then that even better as you can run fans at lower RPM to keep things in check.

Lastly would ensure said build is ideal for your needs. Lots of various CPU's out now that may suit your needs also.

VictoriusII submitter 1 point 5 months ago

So basically the needed wattage is also the needed cooling wattage?

I want an i9 because 1. I want to go total overkill 2. I do A LOT of editing 3. I need 33 pcie slots

Radox-0 5 Builds 1 point 5 months ago

No, exactly (there is of course a link however) What I was pointing out is overclocked for example will require much more cooling capability then everything at stock. With that said, assuming your pumping in this much money in to parts, I imagine you would have a decent budget for a large case and cooling. Either way 2 x 360mm in a good case would be what I look at as a minimum with more the better.

Make sure that the tasks your doing scale with more cores and that you may not be better off with something like a 9900k even if it has much less cores. Similarly if it does use more cores take a peek at threadripper for your workload. Finally, if the 7980XE is what your absolutely set on, would wait for the 9980XE now which is also expected to be soldered and out towards end of month.

Well, im Just planning for my build. Im waiting for the new Intel z399 or x599 chipset, but on this moment the "old" i9 suits my applications perfect: gaming on 165 Hz 1440p ultra, editing and a little bit of ai and vr.

BetrayedPredator 3 points 5 months ago

Depending on what 2080TI you get, they can draw up to 373w (150% power limit)

A 7980XE overclocked can also draw 400+w without breaking a sweat

Anyways 9th generation HEDT CPUs from Intel are expected in the next few months, so no reason to buy a 7980XE.

Then you have the possible Turing Titan that is bound to handle.

I’d go with a minimum of two 360mm, and preferably at least one being 420+ for the most headroom

Both components run hot

You are looking at 700w+ without overclocking since the TDP of a 7980XE is for base clock without any turbo

Hmmm, i Think in going with 2 360 rads since 100 percent cpu usage will be rare and if the cpu hits max load, 80 degrees celsius will be ok.

Radox-0 5 Builds 2 points 5 months ago

Go for more if you can though, it will be okay as I said with 2 x 360mm (provided the case has solid airflow to the radiators), but as you evidently have a fair bit of cash, get a solid case with larger radiator support and in turn run those fan's at a lower RPM for similar cooling or similar RPM for cooler temps.

No point spending such a large amount on PC parts then not adding a little extra to the case and radiators IMO if building from ground up.

I have the money for a big case, but i dont want to have too much space left in the case (the problem with a normal size motherboard in a big case). Also, the modern big cases are not so astetic in my opinion. So yeah, im also waiting for new cases

Radox-0 5 Builds 1 point 5 months ago

I would probs take a peek at the Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic. support of 3 x 360mm radiators simultaneously and the case is not excessively massive that the motherboard looks small or anything.

The Enthoo Primo is another case which you could take a peek at. Its on the larger side, but thanks to the PSU shroud gives it a relatively clean along with that front panel, gives it an overall clean look with motherboard taking up most the visual elements.

Number of cases should work. Best of luck either way, hope you upload once you done, should be neat!

Thanks! I will upload, but that may take long (probably multiple years). I will post another build but i dont have a lot of time and some family problems. For now im Just using pcpartpicker for perfecting my build ideas for the future.

BetrayedPredator 1 point 5 months ago

It's more of a GPU load

2 360s won't be enough for any load that hits both CPU and GPU

Especially if you go with a 2080TI with a high power limit

80C isnt acceptable for a custom loop

2x 360 38mm thick will be ok i guess?

It might be

But you won't have very good overclocking headroom

Yeah that's true. I will wait for new mid-tower cases wich will dit a lot of radiators.

Nullarc77 4 Builds 2 points 5 months ago

Have you considered running 2 loops? 1 for your CPU and 1 for your GPUs. That would decrease the amount of rads needed for extremely low temps. With your current config a 360 and a 480 or 2 480s would be ideal. But if you were to run 2 looks that would mean that you wouldn't have an 18 core CPU at 4ghz heating up 2 2080tis and vice versa.

Another thing is that SLI sucks right now. Most modern games don't even use it and older games that actually can take advantage of SLI won't really be able to because those games would be running no problem on a single 2080ti. Keep in mind the 2080ti is the first true(In my opinion) 4k 144hz GPU. So 1440p 165hz will be no problem for it. 2 2080tis is really just a waste of money on the both the GPU and the cooling departments. If you were to go with a single 2080ti you could get away with 2 360mm rads(Single loop) with minimal problems.

VictoriusII submitter 2 points 5 months ago

Having 2 loops may give better temps, but you would need 2 pumps, 2 reservoirs. This space could be used for extra radiators

Nullarc77 4 Builds 1 point 5 months ago

Not necessarily. You get a large open case that has plenty if room and it will easily fig 2 pumps and reservois. Plus you could go with pump reervoir combos.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 5 months ago

Psst psst thermaltake core p7

Hmmm. I will Think about it.

I would say 2 360s would be plenty, a 360 and 240 though would also wok.

Ok

Not with an overclocked 7980XE

They run hot and can easily draw hundreds of watts

Oh whoops the xe. Then 2 480s would be ideal.

Oof that's alot of radiator