• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

adamxaffliction 3 months ago

It's time to replace my ear pads. The reason they broke is because I found the cups very shallow and my ears rubbed against the plastic underneath. I was able to fix this by cutting up a microfiber cloth and shoving it inside the cups around the edge, but this was an imperfect solution as the cloths didn't fit quite right and I had to keep adjusting them every other time I used them.

So now I'm left with two options: buy a replacement pair of pads from Sennheiser and add padding properly (using backer rod or something similar instead of cut up cloth), or use pads that aren't officially supported by these headphones. Does anyone know of any pads that will add more depth (or at least allow me to add depth with said backer rods) that actually fit on the HD280 PROs? I've never replaced ear pads before so I don't really know how to go about finding the right ones.

Comments Sorted by:

slkipp 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

I believe Brainwavz HM5 pads should fit the HD280.

I wish there was a replacement headband too.

Ugliest damn thing.

adamxaffliction submitter 1 point 3 months ago

I'll definitely give those a try! I love the thick, smooth leather as opposed the thin, wrinkly leather look of the HD280 PRO pads. They probably have better sound isolation too and will really bring out the quality in the drivers. Thanks a ton!

Shouldn't you be able to replace the headband with any band, as long as it isn't too small? I personally like it, since it fits nicely on my headphone stand and doesn't leave an indent in the padding since there is no padding in the middle.

slkipp 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

Probably. I just havnt gotten around to it.

adamxaffliction submitter 1 point 3 months ago

Just a quick update for those who are curious, the Brainwavz HM5 pads that were suggested to me just arrived. They are much more deep than the original HD280 PRO cups to the point where I don't think I even need to add any additional padding to them.

That being said, the actual hole is smaller, so my ears rub slightly against the pads themselves. This isn't something I'm used to, but it isn't an immediate turn-off for me and although I've only been wearing them for an hour, they don't seem to cause any discomfort like I would get from my ears rubbing against the drivers. I'm not 100% sure since I've been using my other headphones for a while so it's hard to make a direct comparison, but the sound isolation seems better than I remember as well.

TL;DR: Stick with the original pads and add your own padding if you don't want anything touching your ears, use the Brainwavz HM5 pads if your only problem is depth.