• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

IDGam3r 2 months ago

What do I personally think of Surround Sound, well I’ll open up by saying the concept is great, and I can se its practicality to a very small extent, however in saying this there are some things I would like note.

In games, particularly those in a First Person viewpoint, Surround Sound is quite practical as being able to hear what direction something is coming from can give a player a massive advantage, Take Call Of Duty: WWII for an example, say your focused on a certain area, waiting for an opponent, your visuals are occupied, and with a Stereo Headset you can hear footsteps coming behind you, but because it’s only stereo, you cannot pinpoint the exact location of those footsteps, whereas with surround one can ascertain exactly where the footsteps are coming from.

When it comes to Music and Movies I don’t really HEAR any benefits from Stereo to Surround(Though all my music is an MP3 File), not to mention when listening to music, there is no real need for surround as your listening to the whole song anyway, same basic principle applies to movies.

Live shows, I can see a liitle benefit with Surround as you could have the front channels on the show and the middle and back channels on the audience, giving you a sense of actually being there.

Personally for me I’m no Audiophile so being able to ascetain every single db of audio from something is not a skill or talent I have, so maybe those with a better ear can see more benefits than I can.

Thank you for reading.

Comments Sorted by:

Evil_Paroxysm 5 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

What do I personally think of Surround Sound, well I’ll open up by saying the concept is great, and I can se its practicality to a very small extent, however in saying this there are some things I would like note.

This reads like a college essay filler sentence lol.

for an example, say your focused on a certain area, waiting for an opponent, your visuals are occupied, and with a Stereo Headset you can hear footsteps coming behind you, but because it’s only stereo, you cannot pinpoint the exact location of those footsteps, whereas with surround one can ascertain exactly where the footsteps are coming from.

The headset itself can be stereo and you can pinpoint sounds with a surround emulator. That said did you know your brain is more likely to detect sounds in the direction you are looking? Stand between 2 speakers outputting the same audio and you will mostly only hear audio from the speaker you are looking at at that moment.

When it comes to Music and Movies I don’t really HEAR any benefits from Stereo to Surround

99.99% of music is recorded in two channel and surround receivers adapt that audio to play on each speaker, the end result is not always superb.