add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New custom loop setup questions

Ikasamashi

15 months ago

So I finally turned to custom loop.

Need some advice on how to set it up, as in what order. I'm only looping my gpu. Setup is: ekwb d5 140 rez 1x 420 slim 1x 240 slim 3/8x5/8 soft tube Evga hydro copper water block

Pump out to gpu to rad to rad back to pump. Or is the pump between the rads ok?

I'm assuming its a bad idea to pump directly from gpu considering ekwb states these pumps shouldn't be pumping liquid over 60c. Which is odd, because I see a lot of people doing just that with the kits.

I'm buying everything seperately. Seems to work out cheaper that way.

My goal is below 40c. Ekwb site recommends a 360 fat and 240 fat for 325w heat. My 1080 ti ftw3 can hit 358w. (Flashed vbios power limit) Ive seen charts and graphs and watched a lot of vids. I can fit a 420 slim up top and from what ive read, longer is better than shorter and fatter. I can only fit so much in my case (Fractal Design R5). So its a 420 slim and 240 slim = 660 surface.

Is it possible to get below 40c with this set up? Ambient 26c/78f. Ekwb states I can get 26c/79f at ambient 22c/72f at 325w for my card. So in theory that should roughly be 34c. Correct? Or am I just fooling myself?

Main reasons I want to do this is A. Noise and B. Temps. Currently I get 55c fans at 75%, LM, +80/+500. It's so loud and heats up the room rather quickly even with a ceiling fan on low. Not to mention its dumping all that heat in my case. I have plenty of fans and even modded the side panel for 2x 120's intake.

Is this the way to go or am I just wasting about $600+.

Quick question on the d5 140. Can I use the top hole as "in" (with 140mm tube) and the "in" on the pump as a drain? The 140 res shows a hole, but I'm not sure if it's threaded?

Any info/advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Loop order does not matter, as long as your flow rate isn’t terrible everything should reach equilibrium.

On your pump question, most likely no. I would recommend using the proper input / output holes. If you mean as an exclusive drain port, you want that in the lowest possible point of your loop. If you don’t then you get to play a fun game of holding your case at different angles to get everything to flow out. It would be possible with a funnel if it’s that important. I’m kinda confused on what you mean.

On the radiator question, yes a bigger overall radiator is better than thicker radiators, but both is ideal. Due to how volume scales with size the bigger you go then the more surface area you get for cooling. But if you can go thicker then slim radiators you might as well.

Although I think you are confused on how heat output works, your GPU will be outputting roughly the same amount of heat at 70C or 40C under the same load (ignoring the mild efficiency gains by going colder), so your room will heat up at the same pace. The heat has to go somewhere when cooling, which is waterblock -> loop -> radiator -> air instead of just heatsink -> air.

It will be much quieter if that is important.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube