add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

DAC/Amp for Beyerdynamics dt 990 pro 250ohm

JayNinja

13 months ago

I’m look for a good DAC to drive the headphones as I will be using these for mainly FPS games.

I did some research and found that the sound blaster X7 is a great combo for it (in a nice white color too for aesthetics).. a lot of good features within it but my only issue is that it’s a freaking huge device to have sitting on the desk! And I’m looking to keep things as minimal as possible for a clean space.

I was hoping to find a DAC that’s just as good and powerful as the X7 that I could use and mount right underneath the table of my desk.

I’ll be using a usb mic “looking into the Razer seiren” to use alongside of these headphones so a mic slot on the DAC is not a major concern.

What would you guys recommend?

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

At that price point you'd be better off grabbing something like Aune from Massdrop or just getting a Schiit stack or Jotunheim

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Ty for the response! I checked out the Schiit Stack but wasn’t too excited for its odd build.

The other two that you mentioned I’m going to look up right now. Thx for the info!

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Schiit is nice because their offer expansion routes with anything you buy. Your starting budget could be $250 and that could get you into their small platform dac and amp, but then later on you might decide you want to expand to a tube amp or throw in a pre-amp and you have routes you can move into from there...be it stacking more small platform devices or moving into a more versatile medium/large platform device they sell.

I skipped the small platform and went straight for a Jotunheim Multibit, but I also am running speakers + 2 headphones, and have numerous input devices.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I would take a peek at the Sound BlasterX G6 to be honest if you were looking at the X7. In a way the G6 has some upgrades over the X7 in terms of internals, is a sleeker package and small and compact on the desk.

This is as someone who also has a Schitt stack sitting on their desk. The G6 is a pretty solid AMP/DAC combo but also has the various features of the X7 such as DSP and various sounds modes. The latter of which may get flack, but as I say, as someone who has schitt stack, various pricy amps and bunch of headphones, even I enjoy using on occasions when I want to have fun. Can turn off all that enhancement of course and just get a solid AMP / DAC combo in a small package for a solid price.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Has anyone compared the G6 and the sennheiser gsx 1000? How was the quality audio and how was the mic clarity?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

GSX1000 has been called the best virtual surround processor on the market from what I've seen and I love mine.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

May i ask what headphones you use with the GSX1000 i dont want to buy a set of headphones which will cause it to struggle

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Game Ones. I will admit the amplification on the GSX1000 isn't great but it works fine

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Had a chance to use both for a bit and prefer as I wanted something that could do virtual surround sound (though not a mic with either). Prefer the G6 personally, though the form factor and industrial design of the GSX is amazing.

GSX 1000 struggles with higher impedance headphones compared to the G6 which has a stronger AMP. G6 is also capable of higher sample rates vs the GSX. The Virtual surround sound on both get positive reviews.

Audio wise, IMO the G6 is the one to get and price is a double bonus, not sure on Mic and Industrial design wise the GSX looks yumm. Personally waiting to see what creative do with there creative super x-fi tech before I fully invest in virtual surround sound. Though I will say, using some of my headphones, in this case AKG 712 Pro with either of those (well the GSX 1000 struggled abit with its AMP) with virtual surround sound, was amazing in some games.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks i was looking at the getting the HD598Sr or DT990 pro. I will be using the headphones for only gaming and i play mostly mmo,rpg,fps. Would you recommend those headsets for my types of games and would they struggle with either the G6 or GSX1000

thanks

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

——— Update ———

I have decided to go with the sound blaster X7 “limited edition” after taking in everyone’s opinions and doing some intensive researching.

The reason why I went with this one was because I feel it was a “perfect balance” of everything I was asking within the device for the price and also caught it on sale for $369 on amazon.

I know I had complained about the style of the unit but it actually fits in and looks very pleasing on the desk!

Ty everyone that voiced out their opinions and helped with my choosing!

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Congrats, you brought a $370 thing that gets out performed by a ~$200 schiit stack or ~$75 E10K; or a $100-200 JDS O2.

But those aren't red and black nor are they marketed as "gaming" accessories. Gotta pay that gamer gear tax.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Apple ear buds hooked up to a 1/4" adapter sound better than any headphones under $500 through my Jotunheim.

They get warm and smoke a little but thats how you know they are good.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube