add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Nichel-Alluminium corrosion (Help!!!)

The_Adeo

13 months ago

I have accidentally bought a copper (nichel plated) waterblock (EKWB Velocity AM4 Nichel-Plexi) and an alluminium radiator (Thermaltake Pacific RL360 Plus). I thought that the rad was made of copper/nichel becouse it costs 140€, the double of other copper rads (I bought it used at 70€) but now I realized that it's made of an "Anti-Corrosion Aluminum Alloy". What should I do? Now I'm not able to change the rad, so... Help me!

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

use as much anti-corrosive fluid as possible

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Allow me to ask the important question...

How long have you been running the loop, if at all?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I am mounting it right now

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

So you're aware that mixing metals is generally undesirable, but are continuing?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I have just seen that Thermaltake sell this rad in a combo with a copper waterblock, and these combos don't corrode, so it must be zinc plated

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Copper interacts with zinc, almost every metal interacts which is why you don’t mix them.

Zinc is more reactive than copper and will oxidize it

Since there will be more copper than zinc in the loop, it will eventually react.

While the exact chemistry and rate of corrosion can’t be done since we don’t the alloys used and their purities + flow rate + heat from loop + other variables that ruin scientific method. We can say that they will react

[comment deleted]
  • 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Adding yet another metal for the loop to interact with isn’t a always a great idea.

I would recommend he gets a copper radiator, or dumps anti corrosion additives and watches for corrosion and what is actually corroding to replace it.

[comment deleted]
  • 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Sliver killcoils can cause other issues with corrosion

You also have to electroplate with sliver, not just add sliver.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube