add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Building This Weekend, Need a Little Help

aaron2143

15 months ago

The rest of my components will be in this weekend and this will be my first build. I plan on updating the bios and drivers but am wondering what all i need to update?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

The link above is to my mobo and i am wondering what all i should download and update?? Will windows take care of some of these automatically or do i need to manually do them? Don't want to screw anything up. I am trying to get a usb ready for the build, any help appreciated.

Will be windows 10 64-bit

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

You should put a build list together, it checks for possible compatibility issues. Its a good idea to download all the software updates from the Asus website to a flash drive to save some time. I'd only worry about it after you have the system up and running. Let windows do its thing and then update after that. I'd only be concerned with the Bios, Audio, and chipset. Sata you can do if you want. I'd hold off on the utilities because sometimes they can cause problems. Don't rush it. Install apps and programs systematically so you know what program(s) are causing problems should that happen. There is nothing wrong with creating restore points as you go along.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I have most of the components already in but i am waiting on my CPU and RAM. Ok sounds good i will get windows up and running first and let it update. I guess then check to see what additional updates are needed

Here is my build list

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $144.00
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For $21.00
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $110.00
Memory Team - T-Force Delta RGB 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory Purchased For $72.00
Storage Inland - Professional 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $20.00
Storage Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $37.00
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card Purchased For $247.00
Case Raidmax - Alpha Prime (White) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $55.00
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $32.00
Optical Drive Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $15.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $753.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-22 11:04 EDT-0400
  • 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Dont update the BIOS unless your having problems after your through that is a rookie mistake., anybody that says different is a rookie.

I have had to fix to many after a bad flash and charge 80 bucks for the customers stupidity, if their board has no flashback or dual BIOS then its a extra 20 since I have to order a new chip.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

So I should not touch any updates at all with the bios even if it's out of date?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

No reason to update the BIOS unless it states it fixes a problem your having with the PC like. ie ram stability.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Will do. I was able to read my manual and it advises not to update as well unless there is an issue like you stated. Thanks for all of the help

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I'll semi agree with Zerk. Since it's a B450, it should work out of the box. Build it and get it working, then once you're comfortable with the BIOS, check the version vs what's available from Asus. If it's out of date, consider updating it, but make sure you know exactly how it works and what the recovery options are, if any. (e.g. bios flashback, dual bios, whatever -- I don't know what that particular board has). If you screw up the flash you can brick the board. Also make sure you have a flashable copy of the OLD bios in hand in case the new one boots but has issues of some sort.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I went with b450 so it would boot with 2nd Gen ryzen. Sounds scary to even mess with the bios now lol

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I will check into that. It definitely will boot with 2nd Gen ryzen. I chose a 400 series board to make sure of that

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Never ever,ever,ever use a online updater for any motherboard BIOS.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I've used the Asus online updater within the bios many times with no issues. Some boards even have a bios USB port. You just download the update to a flash drive plug it in and it's done automatically. The thing you don't want to do it update the bios from windows.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

That is not a true live online updater then because your downloading the new version to a thumb drive then updating. A lot of boards would offer a live updater and if your PC hicuped or the power blinked you bricked the board. I have a old i 2500k system that never has been updated because their no reason to.

In about 20 years of building, repairing, upgrading, I have had to update about 10 boards because od problems but have probably worked on 50 because they thought they would updated..

Just like in the manual that the OP found.

I was able to read my manual and it advises not to update as well unless there is an issue like you stated

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube