• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

LiteEmUp 3 months ago

So what i'm specifically looking for:

• Really good audio, where you can hear footsteps really well in games like csgo
  • good quality mic; for making colorful commentary on recorded gameplay videos
  • preferrably 7.1 surround sound, but will settle with 2.0 or 2,1 if sound quality is really good..
  • preferabbly under $100; will only go as far as $200

So doing some research online, steelseries arctic pro and the corsair void pro are the 2 most common gaming headsets i'm seeing being recommended by reviews.. not sure if these are paid shills or truthful reviews, so i'm taking their review with a grain of salt...

went to best buy to check and one guy highly recommended me hyperx cloud 2 or alpha..

so these are the current headsets that i'm checking out based from availability in bestbuy(would also consider buying from amazon or elsewhere):

• steelseries arctic pro wired (this is without the dac included) 179.99

• steelseries arctic 7 wireless 149.99

• logitech g pro gaming headset 89.99

• corsair void pro wireless 129.99

• hyper x cloud 2 99.99

• hyper x cloud alpha 99.99

help me recommend a gaming headset in prep for black friday... any tips are greatly appreciated...

edit 1:

• massdrop x sennheiser pc37x is definitely now my most top options and i'm leaning towards it.

• i'm thinking of buying a dedicated headset for gaming listening.. preferrably good ones that you can hear footsteps very accurately(as if you have wallhacks lol)

• and i'm thinking of buying a seperate dedicated mic.. i'm leaning towards modmic for now..

• so what about the hd6xx, akg 7xx, ath m50x, dt 1990??? anyone experienced using these headsets???

Comments Sorted by:

slkipp 1 Build 2 points 3 months ago

Audio-Technica AD700X, and AD900X

Add in a $40 Blue Snowball Ice. And a $15-20 desk clamp mic boom arm.

Also, Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X, or HyperX Cloud Alpha.

MoreAlphaLine 2 Builds 1 point 3 months ago

Can second the Audio Technica headphones.

slkipp 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

Modmic/boompros aren't a better form factor. Just a different one.

stavros.m 1 point 3 months ago

Can i ask a question i was debating on going that route but my only concern is how is the snowball mic for discord and can they hear every click of the keyboard

thanks

slkipp 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

It depends on your keyboard, how you position the mic, and the Discord mic attenuation(sensitivity) settings.

I've got my snowball ice set up between my two monitors hovering slightly right of my keyboard, and about 2 feet up from the desk, and away from the keyboard which I position to the left a bit more. I've set my Discord mic settings so that it rarely picks up the keyboard unless I'm particularly rough on the keys. (Microsoft Sidewinder X6 keyboard, G402 as mouse (though some people can hear the mouse more than the keyboard especially when I'm using it to 'pan' around in a vehicle while gaming or such.

TLDR: It depends.

LiteEmUp submitter 1 point 2 months ago

the 700x and 900x are definitely within my budget... i have to do furthere research with those 2....

so what are your experience with those 2 so far??

slkipp 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

Personally, I find them to be to trebley, they have a bass de-emphasis. And while they make great open-back gaming headphones for competitive shooter/footstep games. For fun gaming, I wouldn't recommend them.

The difference between the 700x and the 900x is the 700 is basicaly a bass level of 3, and the 900x is a 4 or 5. Out of 10. Compared to my X2 at 7-8, and Cloud II around 6-7.

so after doing some youtube research reviews, my conclusion is that only logitech g pro gaming headset or cloud alpha is the options from the list i provided... with logitech having the better mic and cloud alpha having the better sounds...

but the mass drop x sennheiser pc37x is definitely now my most top options and i'm leaning towards it..

• i'm thinking of buying a dedicated headset for gaming listening.. preferrably good ones that you can hear footsteps very accurately(as if you have wallhacks lol)

• and i'm thinking of buying a seperate dedicated mic.. i'm leaning towards modmic for now..

so what about the hd6xx, akg 7xx, ath m50x, dt 1990??? anyone experienced using this headsets???

TopHatArmy 1 point 2 months ago

if you are on a budget at about $50 bucks, get the hs60 from corsair, good sound quality and comfort, but not the best microphone. But if you use pc, there is a fix for it, if you use Equalizer APO and the peace interface for it, you can boost the microphone by about(for my anyway) 30db and adjust it to sound better. but if you use a console, you are out of luck on that, but the headset does sound like it has plenty of bass but not muddy, sounds bright but not harsh and has 50mm drivers for better surround sound.

so i'm back again... and black friday is right around the corner...

• right now pc37x is my top option, followed by ad700x, akg7xx, and hd 6xx... i'm still trying to hear opinions from those who have owned these cans..

• i'm also considering a dedicated mic: blue yeti silver, samson g-track pro, and fifine k670 are my top options.. bestbuy currently selss silver blue yeti for $100, and im trying to decide if i should pull the trigger now before sale ends or wait for black friday..

these are the qualifications i'm looking for a dedicated mic:

• quality mics that are withing the $50 price range

• quality mics that are over $50, but less than $150

• crisp quality voice for seperate gameplay audio commentary

• preferably a mic that doesn't pic up background noises..

i'm also looking at possible amp/dacs if needed to improve further audio quality.. i prefer something under $100, but might consider those between $100-$200

• so right now i can just select pc37x and be done with it, but i'm also looking at other options on which one likely would be high quality options, and at the same time not too expensive lol... spending only around $100

• go with something like ad700x($95 in amazon)+ blue yeti($99 in bestbuy).. spending around $200

• go smething like one of the 700x, akg 7xx, hd6xx and fifine k670($48 on amazon).. possibly spending under $200

any additional insights are greatly appreciated..

Evil_Paroxysm 5 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

right now pc37x is my top option, followed by ad700x, akg7xx, and hd 6xx... i'm still trying to hear opinions from those who have owned these cans..

I have Game Ones (PC37X), HD600, HD6xx, HD660S.

If you can afford it I'd go with the HD 6xx over the PC37X in terms of sound quality. PC37X are essentially HD558 with a mic attached. Features, ease of use, and price all go to the PC37X. Personally I use my Game Ones through a Sennheiser GSX1000 and won't give up the flip muting mic and ear cup volume control of the Game Ones for any of my higher end headphones.

AKG has a better soundstage than Sennheisers but I don't like how large they are.

I don't personally care for Audio Technica.

Next headset I want to try is the Beyerdynamic MMX300.

i'm also looking at possible amp/dacs if needed to improve further audio quality.. i prefer something under $100, but might consider those between $100-$200

If this budget is separate of your headphone budget and your primary use is gaming I'd grab a GSX1000.

General purpose/music: Fiio E10k, Schiit Fulla 2, or Schiit modi/magni combo

so now i ordered ad 700x since it is on sale for $95 on amazon... now i got my mic and headset.. i still want pc37x, and will likely get it if price drops to under $100...

so now what i'm looking for is possibly a dac to go along with the 700x.. i'm looking for under $100 preferably, but would consider $100-$200 if the quality is superb

Evil_Paroxysm 5 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

so now i ordered ad 700x since it is on sale for $95 on amazon...

Asks for input

Ignores input of the only person that responded and buys the only pair on the list recommended to avoid

i still want pc37x, and will likely get it if price drops to under $100...

They won't, its Massdrop, thats the price. Game Ones were on sale on Amazon for $86 about the time you posted this initial thread though.