add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

8 or 16 gb ram for Ryzen 5 2400g?

Ranceattack

15 months ago

If I plan on applying 2 GB of RAM to the integrated GPU for max performance, would I be ok with 8 GB for now or should I just get 16 GB? I do plan on upgrading to the 2nd gen Ryzen once it comes out.

Does this answer change if I get something like a Ryzen 560 or GTX 1050 TI?

Also both RAM options will be 3200 MHz since Ryzen does better with higher frequencies.

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

Honestly, 8 gigs will mostly likely be fine for 99% of everything you will do. There are situations where applications will be able to utilize the extra ram, but it's probably not worth the cost for the majority of people.

And when you upgrade to your graphics card you will automatically free up that 2 gigs the iGPU was using.

Personally, I'd just buy 8 and save my money to put towards the graphics card. You will get far more benefit from that.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd go with 16 gigs. 8 gigs would be okay for most anything. Once you get the new CPU & 1050ti you'd probably want the extra 8 gigs depending if you're playing games. Even then 8 gigs would "probably" be okay but 16 gigs will have more head room. Red Dead Redemption 2 will have min requirements of 8 gigs with a recommended amount of 12-16 gigs. Who knows what the future holds but it ain't getting any cheaper to play the latest.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

RDR isn’t getting released any time soon for PC, sadly

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Well we don't know for sure yet. It's coming later we just don't know how much later. I ain't playing it on a console like I did GTA5. Who am I kidding I'll probably download it the night of release dammit. 105 gigs lol.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

6 GB available is tight. I wouldn't do it. If you have a discrete GPU and don't need the 2 GB for the CPU, it's workable, especially if your system drive is an SSD. I do think that a lot of builds that are running OK with 8 GB today are going to be under some memory pressure a year or three from now. Personally I think that for all but the tightest budget builds, 16GB is the least I'd build with today.

Don't fixate too hard on 3200 MT/s, 3000 is within 10%. It probably matters more if you are running the APU than if you aren't.

(I haven't said "It's MT/s, not MHz" yet today, so there you go.)

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Well the price difference between 3000 and 3200 MT/s (To use your terms :p) is less than 10% I think so I'm trying to gun for the best. Unless the 3000 is RGB because I'm trash like that.

I definitely plan on having an SSD, though it's tough not pulling the trigger considering Black Friday and pending tariffs.

I was worried that 6 GB probably wouldn't be enough since I like having a bunch of programs running at the same time, and especially if I decide to stream a bit as well. If I went 8 GB my build would be sub-500 but I'll hold out another month. Means I'll have to pray for my mobo and CPU to work without issue since I'll be outside the 30 day return range but **** it.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

LOL well Captain Pedantic is over there saying something like "3000 MT/s DDR4 runs at 1500 MHz" which I guess is why he is picky. I try to ignore him as much as I can.

Maybe you could beg or borrow a loaner stick from someone just long enough to make sure the parts work...?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I've got a couple of PC builder friends in my area, I'll see if they can spot me a PSU and spare RAM sticks to see if it can post. Can't remember if I also need a drive for post tests.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd get 16 gigs. I've seen Shadow of the Tomb Raider go past the 8 gigs point. Yes, the dedicated GPU helps since it frees up more RAM for system use.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd go with more if there's the funds available, personally. Of course, my answer would be the same if all you're doing is browsing the internet, too.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Google Chrome Intensifies

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube