add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX Motherboard USB 3.1 Type-C header recommendation

mhweb
  • 17 months ago

I'm planning to get the ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX Motherboard, which I'll be installing it on a case that includes a front panel I/O with on USB 3.1 Type-C. I would like to have this port working, but looking at the motherboard manual, I see that the there's only one SB 3.0 header.

I've been looking online for a PCIE expansion card to add the USB 3.1 header to connect the front panel, but thus far I haven't found anything. Maybe I'm using the correct keyboard to find what I need.

1. Does anyone knows if the Asrock mb includes a USB 3.1 header to connect to the front panel?
  2. Which could be a solution to enable the USB 3.1 header in the front panel using this motherboard?

Thanks,

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

I have this board. The X399 Taichi has two USB 3.0 headers. See page 5 in the user manual.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

What's the Case?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Phanteks Evolv X

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

If the connector of the Case is similar to the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCFF2vujTv4

<Look at 4:58>

Then this board below should do.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3fYWGX/asus-rog-strix-x399-e-gaming-eatx-tr4-motherboard-rog-strix-x399-e-gaming

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketTR4/ROG_STRIX_X399-E_GAMING/E13249_ROG_STRIX_X399-E_GAMING_UM_web_20170825.pdf

<Page 32>

Also that Case is E-ATX compatible.

The ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING has a Extended ATX Form Factor design.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking into this mobo. Thank you for the recommendation and taking the time.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

You're welcome!

That's why it took some time to reply back. lol

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I am currently in the process of buying parts for a ASROCK - X399M (mATX) build. I will be affected by the same problem and so far I've only found two solutions. Sadly both cost around 50 to 60 USD but I think I am going with the modDIY adapter since I plan on doing a vertical GPU mount without having to deal with more than one PCI-E riser.

Solution 1: modDIY Adapter

Solution 2: Delock PCI Express Card > 1 x internal USB 3.1 Gen 2 key B 20 pin female

Edit: You will be able to use the Type A-USB connectors on your case. The adapter is only needed to make the USB Type-C port working.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll using an extra PCIE, but it seems like a solution. Quick question: Why did you pick the Asrock motherboard against other brands?

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

The ASRock X399M Taichi (Note the "M") is the only X399 mATX mainboard on the market. My original plan was to use a mATX case but looking at radiator restrictions I will most likely be using a Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX case instead.

I also have an ASUS X399-A in a different build which works fine and even comes with an unused Type-C header, because my Corsair 780T case is too old to support it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube