add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

watercooling tips...

tech_geek100
  • 16 months ago

so, I want to do a water-cooling build in the future, I want hard pipe stuff and am not brave enough to put a GPU underwater, so I want to know some reliable pumps, fittings, cpu blocks and stuff like that. Also, I heard that distilled water doesn't harm electronics if it happens to leak, is this true? To add to that, Would I have to replace the liquid if it was just water?

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 3 points

go to Youtube and search for Jayz2cents.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, ive seen him scattered around on this subject, thanks!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The best advice here! :)

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Would I have to replace the liquid if it was just water?

What do you mean "just water"? You do not fill your cooling system with tap water. You want to use distilled water + cooling liquid (which contains many things, including algae prevention, lubrication for your pump, etc).

You can check out the EKWB Guides for a lot of information. (Already mentioned before by Wesley88).

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, by just water I meant distilled

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, that's cool. :)

Also, if you look at the EKWB Guides, they recommend cleaning the cooling system and replacing the cooling liquid (distilled water + coolant concentrate) every 6 - 12 months.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, great advice

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I just use Biocide and Distilled Water in my loop and I've been doing that for 2 years with no issues. The CPU block is still clean. I try to flush my water out monthly but I've let it go as long as 3 months. Once a year I do a full inspection/ cleaning and I replace the hoses at this point. Sometimes I'll replace a fitting if I don't like how it looks.

Silver Kill-Coils and Distilled Water were popular at one time but the Silver will react with Nickel. Copper Sulfate Biocide will also react to Nickel. Aluminum reacts with Nickel and copper. I use soft tubing but when I had the kill-coil in my loop the hoses would get Plasterized after about a year, which is when the clear tubing get a whiteish residue. When I took the kill-coil out of my loop I also switched from Tygon brand tubing to Primochill. SO I had used the Kill-coil for 5 years and I really can't complain about it.

No matter if you're using soft or hard tubing, try to go for Matte Black. The only way I'd go for Nickel fittings is if I was using a Nickel Plated block and the Algae killer/Biocide is Nickel friendly. Bitspower makes the best fittings for Soft tubing, but I don't know who does for PETG/Hard Tubing.

Distilled water is just Water without any minerals. It's almost pure water. The minerals in the Tap water would build-up in places and the chlorine could react with one of the metals in the loop. You obviously don't want water leaking on your parts at all, especially when the PC is running. Since Distilled Water lacks all those minerals, metals, and whatnot it's less electrically conductive than normal tapwater. I wouldn't say the Distilled water leaking out of loop is not conductive.

If you get a thicker radiator in excess of 50mm then you would really need to look into a Push/Pull setup with the fans. With 60mm thickness and beyond you would really need the Push/Pull setup. What I recommend here is accounting for that with your case. My radiator is an older HWLabs GTX 360 that really doesn't do well with push only setup, If I was to buy a radiator today, I would get the EK Coolstream XE. I'd probably get the 420mm version which takes 3x 140mm fans. You can get whichever sized radiator is right for you.

My pump is a D5 Vario pump but I have an Alphacool Pump/Res combo. Before that I had a weaker XSPC that ran for years but I replaced it.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Great info. Why do you recommend matte black tubing?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Distilled water itself isn't conductive

It will pick up metals, etc from blocks and can become slightly conductive over time.

Also don't mix metals with parts, if everything is copper then go copper (blocks / radiators). Generally high-end stuff is nickel plated copper.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't say Distilled Water is 100% non-conductive. At best I would call it a poor conductor.

There is plenty of high end stuff that's plain copper and you usually have a choice between other copper or nickel plated parts. The Copper EK Supremacy Evo block I have in my loop isn't the cheapest one they have and it's only slightly cheaper or the same price as the nickel plated block.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Distilled water isn't conductive

But in a loop it can pick up metals that allow it to conduct electricity

EKWB makes reliable parts but they are pricey

YT is your best bet

To answer the loop maintenance question, yes. I would still tear down the loop every 6 months or so to clean blocks and make sure nothing is building up. Since distilled water can cause stuff to grow in

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the help!

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

sweet link! I will be sure to use this!

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

thank you!!! this site is so helpful! I was looking fur sites but most were sketchy inventories and selection interface

[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, good to know

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube