add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$100 More For 14CL

Isaac1995
  • 20 months ago

I understand DDR4-3200MHz RAM that has a CAS latency of 14 is much faster than DDR4-3200MHz with a CAS latency of 16, but at $100CAD more is it really worth it?

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

I understand DDR4-3200MHz RAM that has a CAS latency of 14 is much faster than DDR4-3200MHz with a CAS latency of 16, but at $100CAD more is it really worth it?

I would say generally no, but it depends on the exact applications (even in certain niches, I wouldn't say "much faster," though it is subjective) and the exact kits we're talking about here.

Naturally, quad-kits of 16GB sticks are going to have a bigger absolute cost difference associated with frequencies and latencies than dual-kits of 4GB or 8GB sticks.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

On a Ryzen build - perhaps, depending the application in question, but sometimes especially on a Ryzen build some CAS14 modules on some boards may make be the difference between hitting the max. speed of that Ram vs running it lower. (CAS 16)

Now on a Intel build, i wouldn't bother much about the CAS latency.

Get some 3000MHz or 3200 MHz ones if the price is right and you are good to go.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Almost certainly not. Unless you're already maxed out, or have very specific computational requirements, spending the money on more RAM capacity will improve performance more.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

DDR4-3200 RAM modules with CL14 usually use Samsung B-DIE RAM chips, which in turn are the most compatible RAM for Ryzen. Thanks to AMD's Agesa updates (Microcode applied via BIOS Update) and Ryzen 2 the issue is no longer as present than it used be.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube