PCPartPicker

• Register

Is getting studio headphones pointless if you're not an audiophile?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

SametMazi 4 months ago

Honestly, I've been in the search for headphones for about a year now. Everytime I confirm my choice, either I learn something new or take a break from researching (and start all over). I recently (2-3 months ago lol) came to the conclusion of superlux hd668b and neewer nw700. However, I am leaning towards a headset (like the arctis 5) because:

1) Aesthetic - I don't know if I have a problem or something because I know I'm going to be wearing it and not seeing it 99% of the time but I just want something appealling, I'm just that type of person. I like the look of the neewer nw700 especially in white but the superlux is SO UGLY. The arctis 5 is just fantastic in looks. Yes I like RGB (not obsessed though maybe just in pc case and peripherals ). I know some of you might hate me for that but I mean everyone has different stuff they're attracted to and they enjoy :)

2) convenience - this is also a BIG factor. Having 1 cable is amazing and having a less sensitive mic is also great (I know also about the modmic but that's 2 wires but ruins aesthetics when used with superlux). I know mic quality will be worse but I'm not doing anything professional, just chatting to friends and people. The fact that I can simply plug the headset in instead of setting up mic, plugging headphones, getting adapter for ps4 is a huge negative.

3) I know audiophiles will agree with me, my audio standards are extremely low. Ive only used the apple earbuds for the iPhone 6s, akg IEMs for the Samsung galaxy S8 and the default earbud (1 ear lol) for the PS4. Honestly, I don't like the sound of the ps4 earbud, don't remember the iPhone but the akg ones I actually like. Based off of that, I feel that going significantly higher than my current standards will mean I won't enjoy my IEMs. This could also mean that I am more likely to like the arctis 5 because I have low standards where as other audiophiles can detect every sound wave.

So, I know this is long (don't know how long as I'm writing on my phone and know it's a lot different on pc) but I could really use some of your help. Could you answer a few questions of mine? Are these sufficient reasons to buy a headset (oh yeah aesthetics is also why I was drawn away from the hyper X cloud 2 ) ? Any good headset recommendations under £80? What do you think I should do? Am I being irrational with my reasoning? Love hearing your opinions and open my mind.

Comments Sorted by:

TheShadowGuy 2 points 4 months ago

Aesthetic

Everyone has their own opinions here. It is easier to make recommendations based on performance and price, because those are generally measurable. It isn't somehow wrong to pick a lower performing setup based on aesthetics- it just means you value different things in your gear.

Convenience

As someone who gamed on a laptop for a long time, I can understand this. It is a pro of gaming headsets for sure.

I feel that going significantly higher than my current standards will mean I won't enjoy my IEMs.

Burgers are good. Steaks are good. Eating a steak won't suddenly ruin all burgers forever. If you like the sound signature or portability, I find it unlikely that will change just because you heard something else.

Ultimately, you will like what you like. I usually recommend the Cloud 2s or the Sennheiser Game series/PC37x when I recommend a headset, but from what I've seen you could do worse than the Arctis 5. Supposedly they are comfortable and have a good mic, plus you mention you like RGB. From what you have mentioned it sounds like you have done your research and thought about what you want. At that point, I think the decision has already been made.

SametMazi submitter 1 point 4 months ago

Thanks for the information and your perspective and I agree 100% with you. You helped me confirm my option :) as I realise, I value aesthetic a lot more than i thought like when getting trainers I will get something that looks appealling over something thats more comfortable (still has to be comfortable for me to buy but I value aesthetic more)

slkipp 1 Build 2 points 4 months ago

1) Aesthetic - I don't know if I have a problem or something because I know I'm going to be wearing it and not seeing it 99% of the time but I just want something appealling, I'm just that type of person. I like the look of the neewer nw700 especially in white but the superlux is SO UGLY. The arctis 5 is just fantastic in looks. Yes I like RGB (not obsessed though maybe just in pc case and peripherals ). I know some of you might hate me for that but I mean everyone has different stuff they're attracted to and they enjoy :)

Aesthetics are pointless once you put them on your head.

2) convenience - this is also a BIG factor. Having 1 cable is amazing and having a less sensitive mic is also great (I know also about the modmic but that's 2 wires but ruins aesthetics when used with superlux). I know mic quality will be worse but I'm not doing anything professional, just chatting to friends and people. The fact that I can simply plug the headset in instead of setting up mic, plugging headphones, getting adapter for ps4 is a huge negative.

Convenience is a factor of what you're using besides the headphones, (source(s) and how/where you will be using them.

3) I know audiophiles will agree with me, my audio standards are extremely low. Ive only used the apple earbuds for the iPhone 6s, akg IEMs for the Samsung galaxy S8 and the default earbud (1 ear lol) for the PS4. Honestly, I don't like the sound of the ps4 earbud, don't remember the iPhone but the akg ones I actually like. Based off of that, I feel that going significantly higher than my current standards will mean I won't enjoy my IEMs. This could also mean that I am more likely to like the arctis 5 because I have low standards where as other audiophiles can detect every sound wave.

Funnily enough, quite a few Audiophiles do in fact like the Apple Earbuds, though I've heard little on the AKG tuned S8 buds. Though, most likely, you would probably just enjoy a warm (slightly bass emphasized) headphone, if you're not looking for a 'critical listening' experience.

So, I know this is long (don't know how long as I'm writing on my phone and know it's a lot different on pc) but I could really use some of your help. Could you answer a few questions of mine? Are these sufficient reasons to buy a headset (oh yeah aesthetics is also why I was drawn away from the hyper X cloud 2 ) ? Any good headset recommendations under £80? What do you think I should do? Am I being irrational with my reasoning? Love hearing your opinions and open my mind.

The HyperX Cloud II, and it's newer brother, the Cloud Alpha are among the best gaming headsets there are currently available without being ridiculously overpriced, or sacrificing quality of construction, sound, or comfort for ridiculous aesthetic features.

Ignore the AESTHETICS of headphones and focus on:

A. Comfort.

B. Build Quality

C. Sound

Junior1210 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

It's your money, computer, and ears. If you can find a set of 'phones that sound good to you then go with it, and yes looks does factor in too. If you think your equipment (not just your headset) is ugly, you'll tend not to use them as much, or not take as much care with them as you would with gear you really love.

I use a set of Xiberia headphones ($25ish, USB, over the ears) that I enjoy greatly. They're low-brow crap compared to anything coming from a major manufacturer, but they're comfortable on my head, they sound wonderful (to me anyway), and the mic is good enough for everyone else to understand me with no hassle. There's no bragging rights at all, but I like them and they work, that's all that counts in the end.

Yeah, unfortunately can't test sound as I don't know places in my area that have displays of headsets or headphones. Will try to look at Curry's which is like the British microcentre I believe

shreduhsoreus 6 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

"Studio headphones" are supposed to have as flat and accurate of a frequency response as possible. They're meant for monitoring and mixing. They're not designed to sound "good", they're meant to sound accurate. For far less money you can get headphones that are designed for listening.

Examples?

shreduhsoreus 6 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

On the cheap end, I'm sure you can still find Logitech G230/G430, the latter coming with a USB sound card that provides simulated 7.1 surround sound(and sounds quite good for the price in my opinion). Those and the Corsair Void Pro are the only headsets I've been able to find that have deep enough cups for my ears. For most, I have to buy separate massive earpads for them to fit.

For some people finding a headset they like is a pain in the ***. Sometimes it's easier to just find headphones you like, then add a USB powered mic like a Blue Snowball if needed.

nightrook 4 Builds 0 points 4 months ago

Just want to point out that studio headphones are different from audiophile headphones which are different from everything else that's targeting most consumers.

While it's true that studio headphones are designed to sound accurate rather than good, the headsets you recommended are designed for gaming rather than to sound good. If OP wants the best sounding (in terms of music) headphone for the price you can't beat chi-fi audiophile gear.

shreduhsoreus 6 Builds 0 points 4 months ago

The title was asking about "studio headphones" and they said they are not an audiophile. They were asking for options for a cheap headphones and mic or a headset. That's what I gave them. Most headsets are going to be geared towards gaming.

The Logitech headsets are also good for more than just gaming. I use them with guitar amp sims and for basic mixing when it's 2AM and I'm not trying to be loud. They kick out quite a bit of bass with proper EQing as well.