add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Modding a Core 500 to have front exhaust?

forestshadow325
  • 19 months ago

I am looking to build my rig in a portable mini itx case to take on trips and vacations / traveling. I know I will need to use air cooling as I do fly fairly often and I'd like to use a noctua d15 if I can. Laptops are out due up price/ performance issues for what I'd need. To get a more wind tunnel effect, I'm aiming to find a way to cut a whole for a fan to use as an intake for cooler air similar to the node304. Any advice? Here's my build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor Purchased For $250.00
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler $89.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard $113.87 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory Purchased For $110.00
Storage Kingston - SSDNow UV400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $40.00
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $25.00
Video Card XFX - Radeon RX 580 8GB GTS XXX ED Video Card Purchased For $250.00
Case Fractal Design - Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case $64.06 @ Newegg
Power Supply Silverstone - Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply $93.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit Purchased For $0.00
Case Fan Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan $21.65 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan $21.65 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1080.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-08 03:36 EDT-0400

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

Its also not a good idea to be moving a build with such a large heatsink. Its even recommended to remove it before.

Just so you know.. the NH-D15 is compatible but you will need to purchase or get from noctua the mounting kit

https://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit

So it would make more sense just to get the am4 version of this cooler which cost the same

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/shNypg/noctua-nh-d15-se-am4-1402-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-d15-se-am4

To get a more wind tunnel effect, I'm aiming to find a way to cut a whole for a fan to use as an intake for cooler air similar to the node304

You won't have heat issues as you can get good airflow inside the case.

As for the psu..... Im assuming you are buying a SFX because its smaller and will make things easier for you. While its a good psu ( i bought mine when it was the only quality sfx unit you could get so i had no other option) But it is noisy even having the latest V2 revision. So i would recommend either going with corsair SF unit which is quieter or getting a seasonic Focus plus unit which is extremely compact at 140mm. Also is going to better and cheaper.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bkp323/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fx

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the suggestions. I would of course remove it prior to any major moves. I can't see it being too big of a deal to reinstall it every so often. Getting the AMD version pf the cooler would be perfectly fine, I did not look further into it as a lot of suggestions I got elsewhere said to get a 240mm aio for the CPU. The psu was mostly for space and is totally flexible. I was only worried about cutting a hole in the front and making it look good after I got it situated because I've read reviews that say heat could become an issue since the the only real source of incoming cool air would be the top?

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

You can put the fan on back intaking and one on top exhausting and change the direction of the airflow on heatsink so airflow has the same direction as fan on back. Honestly i wouldn't worry that much for the cpu. I would guess the problem might be the gpu.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a good idea. I haven't really been able to think of much to do with the GPU for cooling other than to pop off the coolers and replace the thermal compound

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

Just wait and see temps but if its an used gpu, then its not a bad idea to clean and replace the TIM. Arctic MX4 and noctua NT-H1 being my favorites.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

TIM? Is that the thermal compound? And it's a GPU I bought about 6-8 months ago so I'd say it's somewhat used

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

This is probably the direction I would go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor Purchased For $250.00
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-D15 SE-AM4 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler $89.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard $113.87 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory Purchased For $110.00
Storage Kingston - SSDNow UV400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $40.00
Storage Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $43.19 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $25.00
Video Card XFX - Radeon RX 580 8GB GTS XXX ED Video Card Purchased For $250.00
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit Purchased For $0.00
Other Kolink Satellite PC Casing Black -
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1016.95
Mail-in rebates -$25.00
Total $991.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-09 02:52 EDT-0400

There's a sleeker Kolink Satellite Plus if you want a sleeker look, though I would imagine that front airflow would be reduced. This case is smaller than the Core 500 and retains ample room for various components.

Unless you're doing heavy overclocking (and even then) good spot cooling for the CPU and GPU is sufficient to keep core temperatures well below throttling without excessive noise in typical environments with remotely decent chassis airflow.

I added a 2.5" 1TB drive. This is not meant to be ordered with the initial build, it is mainly for the possible scenario that the CPU cooler restricts access to 3.5" drive mounting locations. Obviously, using the 3.5" one that you already have would be ideal. That Noctua cooler pushes the limit for this chassis anyways, so if you can, drop down to a Scythe Mugen 5 or Cryorig H7 with the appropriate bracket.

If you go with this case, you might want to replace the 120mm rear chassis fan.

You may have a cheaper PSU option at your preferred retailers with/without rebates, according to your preferences. Platinum efficiency is unnecessary, but with my preferences, it's cheaper than the 550W Gold version.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube