add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help with a RGB PSU Shroud mod

Russkie69
  • 18 months ago

I built this PC for my best friend's brother, and I made two custom pieces out of acrylic. These custom acrylic pieces were made because my friends brother loves monster energy drinks so he asked me if I could make it a monster themed pc, and I did. I wanted to make both the psu shroud and the cable panel cover to be able to shine through with the Corsair LED RGB strips, but when I completed the pieces and placed the led strips behind these pieces they light did not shine well enough, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions and advice on how to make it better?

Here's some pictures of the build so far below. https://photos.app.goo.gl/xKwEGBYpK6TWmkqv6

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Does it have to be transparent? If you put a white sheet of acrylic behind it, and an LED strip on each side, the entire panel should light up nicely. You can also use some vinyl as well as some black paint to paint symbols, logos, text, etc. into your shroud. Cut up a vinyl sheet with a vinyl cutter and make a stensil, which you apply onto the shroud, then paint over. Remove the vinyl once the paint has dried and it shouldn't have any paint underneath, after which you paint the underside a different color (or leave it transparent if you want light to shine through). If you want the light, which I assume, then you put a white painted sheet underneath the unpainted part in the shroud, and put a light strip onto the white panel. This'll make whatever you made with your stensil light up.

https://youtu.be/MBwfBCW9qZU?t=8m27s

Here's an example of that technique. The black panel is what your current shroud is supposed to be, with whatever text or logo you want to light up left unpainted.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

You might be using a too thicc layer of acrylic. If you shave some off, the lights behind should get brighter.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

It's transparent, so thickness plays a marginal difference. His best bet would be to use a price of opaque acrylic behind monster symbols.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not completely transparent, it's more of a translucent. The more thick the acrylic is, the less light will shine through.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube